cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL is with Plusnet (non-contract) but line and phone is with BT - what next?

FIXED
redulike
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

ADSL is with Plusnet (non-contract) but line and phone is with BT - what next?

I'm tempted to 'upgrade' to ADSL broadband AND line from Plusnet (at some cost saving, at least initially) but gather that this will result in my landline phone service disappearing since 'new' Plusnet contracts do not include the telephone service. 

Can anyone confirm that I've understood this correctly please?

I'm not quite ready to ditch the landline right now but realise that this is coming in the near future and that I will consequently need to either a) get digital voice hardware (my own or BT's) or b) just drop the home phone altogether.

23 REPLIES 23
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Re: ADSL is with Plusnet (non-contract) but line and phone is with BT - what next?

Hey there @redulike you are right in thinking you can no longer get a landline with us. If you are wanting to keep it until you find a solution for it, I would stick with BT for the phone Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

Re: ADSL is with Plusnet (non-contract) but line and phone is with BT - what next?

@redulike 

The following can be used to determine what Internet services are available to you.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

With regards to the phone does your number matter to you? If not you could simply go for a VOIP provider with a new number. If the number matters, you need to "port" it within 30 days to a VOIP provider. In reality, this needs to be asap after you lose your landline phone service (in case of problems).

While there are many VOIP providers to choose from A&A seem to offer good deals but, as importantly, have good FAQ pages to answer questions about going VOIP.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

Mark280
Grafter

@redulike wrote:

I'm tempted to 'upgrade' to ADSL broadband AND line from Plusnet (at some cost saving, at least initially) but gather that this will result in my landline phone service disappearing since 'new' Plusnet contracts do not include the telephone service. 

Can anyone confirm that I've understood this correctly please?

I'm slightly puzzled when you say '"upgrade to ADSL broadband" - does that mean you don't have any broadband right now?

My understanding of BT Openreach's September 'Stop Sell' policy is that ADSL would no longer be available except in those locations where there was no 'Fibre' (e.g. FTTC or FTTP) options available - perhaps you are in one of those areas?

I'm not quite ready to ditch the landline right now but realise that this is coming in the near future and that I will consequently need to either a) get digital voice hardware (my own or BT's) or b) just drop the home phone altogether.

N.B. It's worth noting that most, if not all, of BT's 'Digital Voice' hardware - their 'Digital Voice' wireless phones, and adapters - only works with BT's own 'Digital Voice' service, connecting wirelessly via their own BT broadband Hub - those particular 'BT Digital Voice' wireless phones/adapters won't work on their own or with other service providers.

That said - a regular 'legacy' wired analogue phone, or analogue DECT base unit, can be used, plugged in to many an ISP's broadband router's 'analogue adapter socket' - where you subscribe to their respective VOIP phone service - e.g. from BT, EE, Sky broadband - but unfortunately no VOIP service from Plusnet (!!!)

Of course, it is possible to use Plusnet for broadband, and arrange a 'third party' VOIP service (which connects through broadband, irrespective of the broadband provider) - but that might be more hassle that the 'average' consumer might care to wrestle with (my personal opinion).

My opinion - if you want broadband and phone service - the easiest option would be to pick a provider that offers both, e.g. BT, EE or Sky - Sky probably being the best on price, and good service too (in my experience, and Ofgem statistics).

bmc
Hero

@Mark280 

There is a OR product for those lines that can't get FTTC / P and ADSL is the olny option. Can't remember what it's called. There is also a product for VOIP only.

Brian

Edit : Found it - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/openreach-launch-all-ip-solution-for-uk-adsl-broadband...

Mark280
Grafter

@bmc wrote:

There is a OR product for those lines that can't get FTTC / P and ADSL is the olny option. Can't remember what it's called. There is also a product for VOIP only...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/openreach-launch-all-ip-solution-for-uk-adsl-broadband...

I know - that's essentially what I said.

ADSL service is effectively 'deprecated' - it's now only offered new, in locations where 'fibre' options are not available (or possibly in other rare 'exceptions'.

The Openreach 'SOTAP' is simply a new 'product' permutation enabling the ordering/sale of an ADSL connection without needing an existing (analogue) phone service (as used to be a prerequisite for all broadband service).

[Side note: Doesn't immediately affect existing users - but it will effect existing users who want to make certain changes, e.g. switching service providers.] 

redulike
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies guys.  My questions is around 50% answered. Perhaps I wasn't that clear about my situation and what I was enquiring about.

To recap I have :-

-- one telephone line to the house

-- BT provide the line and phone

-- Plusnet provide ADSL but note I'm 'out-of-contact' with it meaning I'm not on any contract  / I pay monthly / I can cancel monthly with no penalty.  I suspect too I am paying over the odds being out of contract!

My questions was specifically this - Can I get on a Plusnet contract for the same ADSL product with Plusnet presumably now also providing the line rather than BT?

I suspect the answer is NO since Plusnet only offer me Full Fibre as an upgrade (under my "Offers and Upgrades").

I suspect also that around the time my phone service from BT ceases I'll find that my current dual-provider (BT+ Plusnet) arrangement will cease with me needing to choose one of the two parties for the ADSL line provision.

Mark280
Grafter

@redulike wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys.  My questions is around 50% answered. Perhaps I wasn't that clear about my situation and what I was enquiring about.

To recap I have :-

-- one telephone line to the house

-- BT provide the line and phone

-- Plusnet provide ADSL but note I'm 'out-of-contact'...

I strongly suspect you can no longer re-contract with Plusnet for broadband without losing your BT analogue phone service in the process.

My understanding - if I'm not mistaken - this is the policy in place since September when BT Openreach began their 'Stop Sell' phase of the planned eventual end of PSTN (analogue telephone).

Broadband 'on top of' analogue phone line rental - whether with the same provider or with different providers - no longer available when changing changes (presumably, including renewing contracts).

To make matters slightly worse - Plusnet don't appear to have any current plan to offer a replacement 'digital voice/phone' service - so you are unable to switch BT phone service to any Plusnet digital equivalent.

... since Plusnet only offer me Full Fibre as an upgrade (under my "Offers and Upgrades").

Note: If your Plusnet 'Offers and Upgrades' is only offering you 'Full Fibre' - that also seems to indicate that you may be a 'Fibre Priority Area' - in which case, that might be the only future option, Full Fibre and digital VOIP phone. (?)

Perhaps pop your phone number into this BT Broadband Availability checker to see what is/isn't available...

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

I suspect also that around the time my phone service from BT ceases I'll find that my current dual-provider (BT+ Plusnet) arrangement will cease with me needing to choose one of the two parties for the ADSL line provision.

Correct - I think - at best, the analogue phone service would cease, before which either you or Plusnet might need to proactively switch the broadband side to one of the 'Single Order' Openreach  provisions (SOTAP for ADSL if still 'allowed', or SOGEA for FFTC, or Full Fibre).

FWIW - I currently have ADSL + phone (analogue) both with Plusnet.

My 'Offers and Upgrades' appear to only offer 'Keep this product" (which I assume is not a recontract) or 'Upgrade' to Fibre (i.e. fibre to the cabinet) N.B. without any phone service!

So if I wanted to 'upgrade' my broadband with Plusnet, I'd have to give up my phone line (or arrange VOIP with some third party provider).

My phone service isn't all that important to me - but I'm still a little reluctant to just give it up.

To my mind I might as well just move/upgrade my broadband with phone, together, to someone like Sky - when my contract is up next year (unless Plusnet offer some massive discount to stay - without phone - wishful thinking, no doubt).

You could possibly do the same?

Not sure whether if you were able to move 'both services' to someone like Sky - whether you'd still be forced to have Full Fibre installed (quite likely, as Sky mostly use BT Openreach facilities at least as far as the 'exchange').

Maybe just look see what Sky say is available to you...

Explore The Best Sky Broadband & WiFi Packages for your Home

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Fix

@redulike 

To cut to your questions:

My questions was specifically this - Can I get on a Plusnet contract for the same ADSL product with Plusnet presumably now also providing the line rather than BT?

No.

No, of the two BT will be your only option as Plusnet are not offering a phone service.

This split service arrangement will, I fear, turn into a nightmare at some time in the next 2 years.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

@redulike 

Your first choice is whether you want your phone and internet from the same supplier. BT Retail is the easiest option as you don't have to faff about with your phone. However there are other providers.

If you're happy to split suppliers then you can go with whoever you like for VOIP if you're happy with PN.

Because Full Fibre appears to be available (shows as WBC FTTP in the Checker) then it's highly unlikely PN can re-contract you on ADSL due to the OpenReach Stop Sell.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@bmc 

Looking at the practicality:

How do you move the BT landline to a VoIP provider without it probably causing the cancellation of the Plusnet ADSL service and the loss of all emails etc?

Plusnet no longer offer a landline service so that option is not available.
@redulike 

I don’t know if you use a Plusnet IMAP email address? If so I would suggest that you make sure that you keep a copy of all important messages on your own local storage before there are any changes to either service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

@Baldrick1 

It can only be done with a move to FTTP which will be required at some point before the end of 2025.

Brian

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm following this thread with interest as my situation is almost identical. The only significant difference is that we have a fairly memorable phone number that we don't want to lose. Several old friends and relatives still prefer to call it rather than a mobile.

redulike
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Ok. I'm clear I have only one upgrade possible with Plusnet ie to their FTTP product.  I'm quite pleased with that prospect actually since it will be possible for me to finally make full use of regular cloud backups for large volumes of data.

On the question of phone support, I need ASAP to wean those few callers away from using my home phone number (and some other banks/organisations where I have specified it). I'll then be able to choose a FTTP supplier without complications.

Final comment - Elsewhere on this thread@Baldrick1 says

I don’t know if you use a Plusnet IMAP email address? If so I would suggest that you make sure that you keep a copy of all important messages on your own local storage before there are any changes to either service. 

I'm using POP for Plusnet emails so have those stored locally ok.  But I feel I need to get my own domain name and email service during spring 2024 and move over to that.  It's about time I did that anyway!

fjr1300

So I'm in the same situation, do you know if when I upgrade to full fibre if this will generate the cease to BT for my line?

I'm concerned that the switch will just mean my line will be disconnected and left hanging for me to have to spend hours trying to get BT to cease the line.