cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Profile got a mind of it's own, 3dB Noise Margin, Interleaving ?!?!

alexp999
Dabbler

ADSL Profile got a mind of it's own, 3dB Noise Margin, Interleaving ?!?!

I've been with plusnet at my current address since October last year and other than the slow speeds (not plusnet's fault, hopefully Fibre will be here soon), it's been perfectly stable. The only request I made was to have interleaving turned off for faster latency as I use it for online gaming.

The problem is that in the last month or so, openreach, or plusnet systems have decided i should be down at 3dB noise margin! i'm some 4km from the exchange, 55dB of attenuation, I also have interleaving off, so get quite a few errors, so why keep moving me to 3dB!!! it's making the connection unstable, so now interleaving has managed to turn itself back on.

Twice I have asked Plusnet customer support about this and both times they successully changed it back to 6dB, but within a week or so it's changed to 3dB again!

Until fibre arrives I just want it back on a 6dB non-interleaved (fast path) profile, so it's stable and lag free for gaming. I thought coming on here might help someone look in to this better, than just keep ordering a change and it reverting again.

41 REPLIES 41
alexp999
Dabbler

Re: ADSL Profile got a mind of it's own, 3dB Noise Margin, Interleaving ?!?!

Just to add, if you look in to my current connection, it should be on 6dB, but only because I'm forcing my router to connect +3dB higher SNR.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues the noise margin.

I've made some changes which should keep it at 6db.

Let us know if it drops again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alexp999
Dabbler

Thanks, have you done something differently to the last two times I've had it put back then?

Also is it back on fast path? I know I'll get slightly less speed, but the latency is more important to me.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Matt's submitted an order to the exchange to modify the DLM threshold. That should complete within 24 hours.

Interleaving is currently set at Auto on that order, so DLM will turn it on if it feels the line is dropping.

Once the order completes, we could submit it again but with interleaving turned off?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alexp999
Dabbler

I don't understand why it thought it could drop to 3dB anyway? I thought the lowest was 6dB.

And why didn't the previous two orders stick?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like this modify order wasn't done previously. We just changed the DLM setting from 3db to 6db which is usually enough in the first instance but sometimes modifying the threshold is required.

If the SNR target still drops to 3db, the next step we'd do is to e-mail BT to hard pin it at 6db. The target can be set in increments of 3 from 3 to 15.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alexp999
Dabbler

Ok, so I just need to wait 24 hrs now and let you know I'd like interleaving forced off?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Yes that's correct.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alexp999
Dabbler

Just rebooted the router so it had well over 24 hrs for the order to clear and it's still syncing with 3dB noise margin.

Can you please ask for my line profile to be pinned at 6dB with interleaving turned off (fast path).

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just done that now. Should happen within 24 hours.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alexp999
Dabbler

Just got home, looks like it's connecting at 6dB but still with interleaving on.

Does the interleaving side of things take a bit longer to switch off?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

It looks like the order to switch interleaving off (As opposed to auto as it currently is) is due to complete today, however orders can complete any time up until midnight.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
alexp999
Dabbler

Just rebooted my router and interleaving is still turned on.

Can you please ask for it to be turned off and put on fast path while still keeping the noise margin pinned at 6dB.
alexp999
Dabbler

I don't know if someone is in the process of doing stuff on my line, but it's just re-connected with a worse interleave and 15 ms added delay! No way did it drop due to connection loss, what's going on with my line?

Is it because openreach are doing fibre upgrades or something?