Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACL Email Rejection

TheChallenger
Grafter

Re: ACL Email Rejection

Quote from: Bob

Did this start happening when we made the ACL changes?

Bob, That's exactly the time I started 'losing' the mail, I contacted support at Advascan, and this morning I received my usual 200 emails, including those since Thursday.
Doing the same Reverse DNS search on www.dnsstuff.com, reveals that they appear to have switched the IP to 217.72.243.40 (although 217.72.243.41 still works)
So it is definitely related to the ACL changes, and being able to do an rDNS obviously is not enough....
All appears OK at present, this could easily be affecting others though that don't have as responsive a provider.
I'm just hoping I won't get a similar problem with other planned 'enhancements'
mikeb
Rising Star

Hmmmmm, I sure hope that doesn't mean PN have gone back to playing around with the bl**dy silly (IMHO) double rDNS checks again because the only oddity appears to be:
[217.72.243.40] --> "uk.advascan.com" --> [217.72.243.40] which is OK
but
[217.72.243.41] --> "uk.advascan.com" --> [217.72.243.40] which isn't OK
and is just one of many reasons why this kind of check is right old PITA in reality even if it might be technically wrong to have 'dodgy' looking DNS entries like that. 
Having 'dodgy' looking DNS does not indicate a spammer it merely indicates either incompetence or a deliberate attempt to refer any attempted incoming connections elsewhere, such as to a website as this appear to be.  I have seen way more than a few e-mail sender IPs that resolve to a website or some other more appropriate system which I believe was one reason why I had a fair old number of problems with lost mail when the double rDNS checks were active.
... wanders off to get a Lou Ferrigno haircut (but then again, maybe a wig would be more appropriate !), find a tin of green paint and muttering "don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry"

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: mikeb
Hmmmmm, I sure hope that doesn't mean PN have gone back to playing around with the bl**dy silly (IMHO) double rDNS checks again because the only oddity appears to be:
[217.72.243.40] --> "uk.advascan.com" --> [217.72.243.40] which is OK
but
[217.72.243.41] --> "uk.advascan.com" --> [217.72.243.40] which isn't OK

No Mike we haven't. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread the only thing we are doing is checking for the existence of an rDNS record. TheChallenger is reporting that they are now receiving all of their email. The reason it stopped is due to Advascan changing the IP of their mail server and neglecting to set rDNS up correctly (which they have now done if I'm reading things correctly). We're not checking that the reverse matches the forward at the moment.
Edit: It's worth me mentioning that we are deferring the stuff without rDNS with a 4xx server error. What this means is that the sending MTA should try and attempt delivery again. TheChallenger, this also means that you should see some of the email since Thursday start filtering in assuming Advascan's servers are set up to do this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

TheChallenger
Grafter

The reason it stopped is due to Advascan changing the IP of their mail server and neglecting to set rDNS up correctly (which they have now done if I'm reading things correctly). We're not checking that the reverse matches the forward at the moment.
Edit: It's worth me mentioning that we are deferring the stuff without rDNS with a 4xx server error. What this means is that the sending MTA should try and attempt delivery again. TheChallenger, this also means that you should see some of the email since Thursday start filtering in assuming Advascan's servers are set up to do this.

Bob, earlier on you said that:
The server above should be fine. Whilst the forward and reverse DNS entries don't match, it does have rDNS configured:

So how come all the mail only started arriving when they changed the ip to [217.72.243.40] so that rDNS and and forwrad DNS match, and that is the only change. How was it set up incorrectly before? What was stopping it then that makes it OK now since new emails sent through Advascan are now hardly delayed at all?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: TheChallenger
So how come all the mail only started arriving when they changed the ip to [217.72.243.40] so that rDNS and and forwrad DNS match, and that is the only change. How was it set up incorrectly before? What was stopping it then that makes it OK now since new emails sent through Advascan are now hardly delayed at all?

I read that they had changed the IP of their mail server and neglected to set up rDNS in a timely fashion. Looks like I was mistaken Embarrassed
Are you saying that the two IP addresses (both 217.72.243.40 & 217.72.243.41) have always had rDNS entries? (or at least since Wednesday of last week?).
Edit: OK been doing some more digging today and it looks like we may have an issue. This is likely to be why the Advascan emails were getting rejected.
We have a fix but in the mean time we've rolled back the ACL changes to prevent any further email from getting delayed.
I'll update Service Status shortly and will continue to keep you posted.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TheChallenger
Grafter

Are you saying that the two IP addresses (both 217.72.243.40 & 217.72.243.41) have always had rDNS entries? (or at least since Wednesday of last week?).

Yep, that's right,
Bob, thanks for doing the digging, I have always trusted Advascan, they have a very good group of techies there (even wrote own antivirus stuff) keep digging, if you need a spade we'll lend you one Wink
mikeb
Rising Star

I'm not suggesting that Advascan are being anything other than entirely honest but it is obviously possible for DNS to get tweaked as/when desired although changes may not propagate in anything remotely close to a timely manner. It is also possible for multiple nameservers to provide different results if there is finger trouble involved or for 'old' data to get cached somewhere along the way.  The problem in these sort of cases is that AFAIK there is no way to be absolutely sure that the DNS records haven't been modified during the period between when PN checked and found some 'error' and when someone else checked again after finding out there was a problem with receiving mail. I know for a fact in some cases that I've seen DNS changes made even though the other party is trying to tell me that they haven't touched anything and whatever the problem is, it's all down to PN ! I think it's almost inevitable that PN and the other party will always be pointing the finger at each other when there are problems with mail rejection for alleged DNS issues or someone will quietly make a few changes on the sly and hope no one else notices.
Having said that, it appears there is some confirmed PN problem with the latest checks and it's all been taken out again. Just out of morbid curiosity, what was the problem BTW ?
... wanders off singing "You put your DNS checks in. You take your DNS checks out. In, out, in, out, shake it all about"  

TheChallenger
Grafter

Just out of morbid curiosity, what was the problem BTW ?

The problem was I stopped receiving all my email (it is all filtered by Advascan first) I forward (redirect) it out of PN and Adva forward it back in to different mailbox e.g username_scanned.
The challenge of IP's and rDNS is all documented above rDNS did respond, a forward DNS on the hostname gave a different IP (which is perfectly legitimate response ) a lot of ISP's do this, typically the forward DNS takes you to a website see above.
It's sorted for now.....
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: MrToast
How much traffic is due to mail addressed to non-existent mailboxes?

About 1\5 of the email that hits the platform:

Thanks for including the pie chart.... but isn't that 1/5 BlackHole traffic?
Any estimates for random addresses landing in default 'catch-all' boxes?
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: TheChallenger
Just out of morbid curiosity, what was the problem BTW ?

The problem was ...

That question was aimed in the PN direction rather yours, I should have made it a bit clearer so my apologies for that.
I was just wondering what the actual problem with the PN ACL was because simply testing for sender IP rDNS and accepting the transfer if found but rejecting it if missing doesn't sound like it should have caused any strange issues at all.  Any more info available Bob ?  Unless someone had a bit of 'ooops' moment and there is consequently a *very* embarrassed softy trying to hide under a desk somewhere in which case a simple Wink will suffice !

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Wink
Basically we looked at Exim just limiting the ACL checks to the rDNS checks. This was done on the back of the problem I raised following our discussions over on PUG.
A solution was suggested but it still did the forward and reverse matching. We reviewed this again and made some changes to the implementation that we believed stopped this from happening.
To cut a long story short, even with the changes in place, Exim still wanted to do the forward and reverse thing. The solution that was rolled out this morning doesn't rely entirely on Exim (we don't think this is possible now) and instead calls on an external process to do the host lookup.
Hopefully we've cracked it but please let us know if you spot anything awry. The new implementation passed a number of test conditions in the staging environment so hopefully all should be well.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Wink
Hopefully we've cracked it but please let us know if you spot anything awry. The new implementation passed a number of test conditions in the staging environment so hopefully all should be well.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to simply take an internal log of emails which would be potentially rejected by this process so that a back-end comparison could be made with the spam-checker?
Or perhaps the subject line could be marked in some way so that people would see which emails would be potentially rejected - for a week or two?
Email is PlusNet's bête noire - just an alpha test is probably insufficient.
Hope all goes well...  Roll_eyes

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."