cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very strange double fault today, no Broadband and Phone making Duplicate Calls

Anonymous
Not applicable

A very strange double fault today, no Broadband and Phone making Duplicate Calls

I used the Internet, and landline phone OK this morning up until 9:30am
Then, the Internet wouldn't connect a bit later.
Rebooted router etc, no Joy.
So I rang PN Tech on 0800 432 0200
And a really strange thing happened.
I was connected to PN, but twice, from the one dialling, with a slight delay on one call !
It was two separate calls, as two different Tech guys answered.
So there three of us talking, one in real time, one delayed by around a second.
One put the phone down, then I spoke to the other Tech guy, but with the others disconnect continuous tone across the call .
He called me back, same problem, with him, and spurious sounds together.
I tried a different phone, and different dialled number, same fault.
He called me back a second time, and in the gap, had done a line fault diagnosis, and arranged for Openreach to pay a site visit to look into the fault.
Openreach stated between 2nd and 5th October for the fault to be fixed !!
This fault is not down to PlusNet at all, but kudos to the guy who arranged Openreach immediately.
My Broadband came back on at noon, albeit at 7mb/s, instead of the usual 19mb/s...
After a 3 hours downtime, has the Broadband gone back into training mode ?
But the phone line is still kiboshed, every call, any phone, to any number results in a double dial, two separate calls to the same number, one delayed by a second or so !!
Has anyone else experienced this ?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A very strange double fault today, no Broadband and Phone making Duplicate Calls

Openreach Engineer visited today.
Phone fault sorted.
Apparently a new BB / Phone subscriber was connected at "my" Green Box, but somehow a "double jumper" ? was put in circuit, which meant when I dialled out, the call went through two separate circuits at the same time !!
This also meant that there was a conflict of BB connection, hence the intermittent nature
Now sorted I am told.
However, the speed is still low at 7mb/s, I rang the Wonderful Tech guys at Plusnet, and a reset has been applied, which should take effect within 24 hours
Still, atm, 7mb/s is better than 0mb/s !!
Checked back, I've been getting 19mb/s for 3 years now !!!
Copper
Thanks to Plusnet Tech, and Openreach for everything.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: A very strange double fault today, no Broadband and Phone making Duplicate Calls

Interesting story.
So your d-side was connected to two e-sides and when you dialled two calls were placed... Which means two lines were billed.  The other guy's line is his problem.  Question - were the d-sides conjoined too?  That would mean that him dialling out might have caused the same issue and his call charges might be duplicated into your bill... I would be checking my phone bill very carefully in this scenario.
...so who did the installation - KC?  Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line profile has already increased back to 18000, with a sync just over 20k.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only ran Plusnet Tech on 0800, to report the faults, so wouldn't have been charged.
I also rang other numbers after 7pm, to test, so in theory also wouldn't have been charged.
I will check my PN bill as you suggest, obviously if there is a charge from the other phone I should be able to claim it back, but tbh making any call was so difficult as to be unusable, and reverting to a mobile seemed to be the best solution.
The Openreach chap will contact the other subscriber to check everything is ok, apparently there was no-one at home, so he accessed the circuit up a ladder, whereas in my case he plugged into the BT Master socket.

He did very comprehensive line tests on both numbers whilst he was here.

Installation, at the Green Box, he didn't say.
Quote from: Townman
So your d-side was connected to two e-sides and when you dialled two calls were placed... Which means two lines were billed. 

If you say so !!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Chris
Your line profile has already increased back to 18000, with a sync just over 20k.

Thanks Chris.
Rebooted the Router

I notice that my upload speed has reduced from 1mb/s, this was boosted in the past to 1mb/s, does it need boosting again?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PlusComUK
The profile has changed on your account so a graceful disconnect and reconnect should pick up the new speed if you don't want to wait for the PPP session to drop.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, we cross posted !
I notice that my upload speed has reduced from 1mb/s, this was boosted in the past to 1mb/s, does it need boosting again?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

why haven't you asked for the upload to be uncapped - EDIT
It looks as though the system has capped it again
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's pretty spooky, double post without any warning messages???  Cheesy
I'll place the modify for you now and it should be uncapped again within the next 24 hours  Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Adam.