Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A not so happy PN customer

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

A not so happy PN customer

There are a couple of links in the thread title I've 'borrowed'
One is a new speed tester (which shows much faster speeds than - http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ - the one I usually use) and the other one is a BT link which shows me this -

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6400 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1905 kbps
This also shows much faster than my trusted usual speed tester, but the point is the speed is so crap that I can't even watch a film clip on the Apple trailers web site without it stopping half way through to buffer it - and that's on the medium size not the full screen.
I do hope this is nothing to do with the change to BBYW as I was assured it wouldn't make any changes to speed? Or is it linked to the problems with my new 210 router?
Any thoughts?? My speed is less than half what it used to be  Angry
10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: A not so happy PN customer

It would help if you posted the actual value from mybroadbandspeed rather than simply saying it is much faster than the bbmax one.
The BT test shows an IP profile (5500kbps) which is consistent with the connection rate (also known as sync speed).  Is the value shown under Member Centre -> Connection Settings -> High-speed Broadband the same value?
Changing to BBYW should not affect your speeds.  Is your Voyager 210 router connected to your computer by USB or Ethernet?
David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Everything shows as 5500 on the account from here, it might be worth having a look through this
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chesterfield
Grafter

Same as me - Ive had crap speeds for ages now.
I wish I could get half way through an apple trailer before buffering started.
I cant even watch a 10 second you tube clip before buffering kicks in.  Gaming is just plain laggy as heck, if it doesnt kick me off for timing out, web browsing is faster on a modem.
Its utterly useless, but of course BT want to send an engineer round costing me £300 of my time, but will they agree to pay for my time if their equipment turns out to be at fault, just like I have to agree to pay their time if mine is at fault....  Roll_eyes
PN are confident its BTs fault, Im confident its BTs fault - but because Im not prepared to sacrifice £300 of my time, I get to pay for a dialup speed broadband connection Smiley
Brilliant - what a shining example of the quality our great nation can expect from an antiquated establishment like BT.
I may as well take money out of my wallet and set fire to it every month.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Sorry for delay in reply - couldn't log on to Community site Huh
Anyway -
It would help if you posted the actual value from mybroadbandspeed rather than simply saying it is much faster than the bbmax one.

615kbps last night, 1018 now (8.10pm)
2270kbps new Plus Net one
and last night 2988 from BT, which is getting closer to my old speed.
If BBYW isn't slower, does it slow down downloads from sites like Apple Movie Trailers? And why the big difference between what BT site said line could do and what PlusNet actually give me?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Please could you say whether your Voyager 210 router is connected via USB or Ethernet.
The discrepancy between actual download speed and profile speed may well be RWIN related - the link Chris supplied goes to an explanation of that.  To help us assess that please run the DSLreports tweak test here.  To get the results set service to DSL, download speed to 6000 and select your operating system.  Then post the URL you will be given back here.  This is in small characters near the bottom of the results display.
David
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

USB connection (my dell pc doesn't have ethernet)
Link - http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:20360a3?service=dsl&speed=6000&os=winXP&via=normal
Hope that's the right thing...
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your results show an MTU of 1400, the same as that for a different Voyager router used by the poster of the thread you based your topic title on.  So I wonder if that value is built into that series of routers and, for the moment, I'll assume it is.
I suggest you download DrTCP from the DSLreports website (here) - downloading the ".exe" file is simpler, it's only 52.5KB.  Then run this (by double-clicking its icon - it doesn't install on your computer) and set RWIN to 149600 and MTU to 1400.  RWIN goes in the top box, MTU should be entered twice, in the Dial-up (RAS) MTU box and the MTU box on the right of the adapter name.  Please check that there is only the one adapter listed in the drop-down adapter-name box.
Then click the Save button and - most important - restart your computer to ensure the changed settings take effect.
Please post a mybroadbandspeed result and another tweaktest result after making the changes.
David
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks for all that - I think, means nothing to me at all  Embarrassed
Here's the link again - http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:ab53af?service=dsl&speed=6000&os=winXP&via=normal
MyBraodbandSpeed now shows 4036  Grin
and even BroadbandMax shows 3958  Grin Grin
I can live with that... many, many thanks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for your feedback.  The data stream from the tweaktest looks fine, just one "hesitation" which is probably Internet/exchange traffic contention - the rush-hour syndrome.
Glad to hear you are happy now.
Regards, David
David
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: stewarta13wsb
USB connection (my dell pc doesn't have ethernet)
Link - http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:20360a3?service=dsl&speed=6000&os=winXP&via=normal
Hope that's the right thing...

what dell model computer do you have?  Most dell desktops have the ethernet card built in
Puddy