cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN slower than MAX???? Help... cause BT and PLUSNET ain't!!!!!!!!

NottsBloke

21CN slower than MAX???? Help... cause BT and PLUSNET ain't!!!!!!!!

well, where do I begin? I was on 21CN at my previous address, 2 floors above where I am now in the same building and had sync speeds of 19000 without issue and could normally download files @ 1.4 MB/Sec.
moved downstairs in July, got put back on MAX as the PLUSNET house move team apparently don't have the ability to see if the customer is on MAX or 21CN. Took wekk over a month before was moved back to 21CN. Trouble ever since.
Since then we have had a line fault fixed after weeks of complaining to BT about noise on the line. The sync speed and IP profile dropped and is nowhere near what it used to be (has been as low as 4,000 it's now 10,000 but was 16000+ when we got back on 21CN), downstream noise margin is now 15db! Appparently BTW have fixed the problem by upping the margin! great so now stuck @ 10,000! The weird thing is they upped the downstream margin and lowered the upstream, upstream speed has now doubled the upstream to 804kbps. Getting rather fed up with calls to plus net and being told "we are looking into it" etc... want to talk to someone who listens to what they are being told.
Surely the line length is not that different to the length of line in the flat upstairs??? Have got replacement router and new filter plugged into test socket but cannot always do this, but when connected back into front plate there is a 2 meg difference in sync speed. Plusnet support tell me this is because of phone extensions.... Nope! no phone extensions wired into the back of the mastersocket at all.
7 REPLIES 7
scootie
Grafter

Re: 21CN slower than MAX???? Help... cause BT and PLUSNET ain't!!!!!!!!

I get a slight diffrence in sync speed on my face plate and test socket and i have no extensions. If you have no extension you may as well do what i do and use the test socket all the time. i only see a slight diffrence due to only using adsl2 and not + due to being on the end of 50db attention. With you being able to make use of the higher tones any slight degrade in signal will hit your sync speed hard.
hopefully if BTw hasnt fixed your snr at 15db forever the DLM may start to reduce your nosie margin down once youve bein in the test socket for a week or 2
James
Grafter

Re:21CN slower than MAX???? Help... cause BT and PLUSNET ain"t!!!!!!!!

Hi there,
I've run a couple of checks on your telephone line and it's not all bad news.
You're currently syncing around 14Mbps (albeit with a 10Mbps profile) and a noise margin around the 12dB figure.  That should mean that you have a margin for improvement, but you will have to be patient whilst the DLM settles itself out and works out what it's meant to be doing.
I'd give it a few more days and see if you notice some improvement.
Owl

Hi,
Quote from: NottsBloke
When connected back into front plate there is a 2 meg difference in sync speed. Plusnet support tell me this is because of phone extensions....  Nope! no phone extensions wired into the back of the mastersocket at all.

Just a thought (and excuse me if I'm stating the obvious) but a friend of mine had a similar difference between test and faceplate (on ADSL, though, not 21CN) and claimed no extensions too but he had a line to his Sky+ HD box plugged straight into the front of the faceplate. The plug on the faceplate end of the Sky line was a multi-socket type so he had the filter plugged into that and the router and phone plugged into the filter. (Sorry, not a clear description but hopefully you get what I mean).
Anyway, the point is that this meant that his Sky line was unfiltered and when he swapped them round so the filter was in the faceplate and the Sky line was plugged this into the filter he saw an improvement, but still not as good as straight into the test socket. He did some checking online and there were some suggestions of double-filtering the Sky line so he added another filter at the Sky box end and that solved his problem. I didn't find the need to double-filter my Sky when I was on ADSL (now on FTTC so no filters at all) and I don't know anyone else who has either but it might be worth a try if you have Sky and a spare filter.
NottsBloke

James,
yes the sync speed has increased today, strangley enough upstream is improved too! but profile is still 10000. Patience is a virtue but this has now being a problem for over 3 weeks and my patience is wearing thin!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:21CN slower than MAX???? Help... cause BT and PLUSNET ain"t!!!!!!!!

HI Nottsbloke,
I can see you've got a fault open regarding intermittent connections, although at the same time your sync speed is increasing also. Provided the line remains stable your profile will uplift to match, hopefully that will happen soon.
monkeylover35
Dabbler

Wonder if anyone can confirm what the average DLM times are for them to change speeds?? I've been connected 4 days now and after a lot of farting around trying this that, and the other, am now plugged into the master socket...speed is still crap at 3068mbps and only thing that improved was my downstream attenuation (which was about 6db..and then has settled at about 12db now)...
scootie
Grafter

sounds like your on a banded profile at that sync rate, top end 3072 which is what i can sync at but alot of routers seem to sync just abit lower than the top end of a band,
varries alot on 21cn could be a day or 2 of a stable connection, a week or even a month i had one for. best thing to do is get your setup stable and leave well alone, no un nessary resyncs and if your still waiting about for the DLM you can get PN to force BTw to remove the band.
some more info the 21cn dlm
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/dynamic-line-management-dlm-on-adsl2/