Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is Full Launch Due?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When is Full Launch Due?

About 3 weeks ago a Customer Support post entitled "The Community Site is coming!!!" was made in the individual vISP forums.  The following is a brief extract from the first paragraph of that post:
"As some of you may be aware we are in the process of introducing a new Community site for all of our customers. This is currently in beta but we plan to fully launch the site by mid-July".
Please could we have an update on timescales for the full launch?  Also details of how migration of posts is to be accomplished.  I'm sure this won't be easy, is it something that members could assist with (e.g. by identifying posts thought worth transferring)?  Everything does not have to be done on Day 1.
David
David
37 REPLIES 37
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: When is Full Launch Due?

We are deploying new kit for this at the moment.  We hope to be moved over onto it in the middle of next week.  That means we have some serious oomph behind the site.  At that point, we have an exercise to do to associate Community Site usernames with workplace usernames.  Then we are officially going Gold and we'll take "beta" off the title. 
At that point we'll sort out beginning to import posts.  We'll probably make the old forums read only until we sort out the import across.
Don't worry too much.  We'll get a timeline and stuff out soon and notify the customers.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Colin
Grafter

The only definites at the moment are:
1) Nothing will happen before Tuesday 😉
2) Old posts will be migrated across, but probably not not on Day 1.
We haven't made the decision when Day 1 will be yet, but we're hopefully meeting at some point on Tuesday to decide that.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for the update.  I look forward to hearing public details of the outcome from Tuesday's meeting.
David
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Kelly
At that point, we have an exercise to do to associate Community Site usernames with workplace usernames.
Can you enlighten the terminologically challenged as to what that actually means to the users.
Assos
Grafter

Workplace is plusnet's in house customer relationship management software. Unless I'm mistaken, what I believe Kelly is referring to is setting up the ability for plusnet staff to see the your portal username and which visp you are on...
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I assumed it meant that my posts under my username copied from F9 would appear on here as by spraxyt though my F9 username is different.  That username might be duplicated on PN, for example, but spraxyt is unique on this site and associated only with username on F9.
In principle swapping poster-names is easy for a computer, given a cross-reference table, but names built into posts as free text also need changing.  And if the "name" in free text is really a dictionary word (or part of a word) rather than the name it should not be changed.
Potentially a bigger job than it first seems.
David
Liam
Grafter

It essentially means that we'll have the same level of access control as we have via the Portal.  i.e. that only active PlusNet / F9 / FOL / Metronet accounts will be able to setup an account over here - and stuff like that.
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
Just to update you on this, we are currently on track for the work we had planned, however the developer is experiencing some issues with the server config on the new kit.
We will be working on this over the weekend, and will get some firmer details out next week.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Any more news on full-launch date?
David
David
Colin
Grafter

Looking like doing it in 2 stages at the moment, over this week.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Watch this space!! Won't be long now
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

About this long.

Well, we are now on the big set of hardware..... Almost there.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
zubel
Community Veteran

/e posts a recursive worm to see how the server handles it
[quote=barry]
[quote=barry]
[quote=barry]

Seems fine... Smiley
B.
p.s. - actually, it seems blindingly fast!  =D
Not applicable

Please hurry up - my brain is becoming a bit addled with jumping from one forum to the other!  One would make me happy and cut down on the megabytes!