Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to restart router nearly everyday

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Have to restart router nearly everyday

Hi Kathy. I'm really sorry to see you're still having issues with your connection.

I've tested your line today and the tests are showing what's known as a "Loop (Rectified)" fault which is a bit like a short-circuit normally caused by equipment or wiring that's gone wrong. 

Is your router plugged into the master telephone socket? If possible would you be able to remove the faceplate of the master socket which should reveal a test socket as pictured Here? This should disconnect any wiring from the broadband line.

If you can leave the router and anything else you have like a phone unplugged with the faceplate removed and nothing in the test socket, then post back (assuming you have a mobile with some data on) I can retest your line. This should then identify if the problem's inside or outside your house.

If it's outside we can arrange an Openreach engineer to investigate further but if it's inside then I'd suggest we retest your line with bits of your equipment plugged back in one by one until we find out what's causing the issue. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Frakesk
Dabbler

All unplugged and master revealed
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Kathy. Just tested your line now and the tests are passing.

Could you fit the faceplate back on to the master socket, still with nothing else plugged in?

Let me know afterwards and I'll run another test

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Frakesk
Dabbler

Plugged in thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the quick response Kathy.

I'm seeing the loop fault now on the line test so looks like the faceplate may have developed a fault.

Could you remove the faceplate again and plug in what you normally have but into the test socket using a microfilter?

Let me know again and I'll run another test

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Frakesk
Dabbler

Plugged in as asked
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers, line tests are passing still which is a good sign.

I've reset the settings on your line to bring the SNRM back down to boost your speed up more.

This would've been automatically risen to reduce your speed due to the fault. 

I'd recommend leaving things in the test socket and see how it goes.

If all good then it would appear the faceplate is faulty. We can't send an engineer to specifically replace the faceplate but it'd be fine to leave your router in the test socket. In fact that's where I always leave my router at home.

However it would mean that if you have any extension sockets, these wouldn't work. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Frakesk
Dabbler

Thanks, I will see how it goes, yes I do have another socket that I have a phone plugged in to, but happy for now just to wait and see and will report back in a week or so
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Frakesk sounds like a plan.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Frakesk What does your master socket look like by the way? If it’s not a ‘5C’ we can arrange an Openreach engineer to fit you one of these so you’ll be able to use your extension sockets again. 

If you have a 5C master socket, it should either say on it or you can tell by how you’ve taken it apart. If you had to unscrew the faceplate it’s not 5C as that’d have clips.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Frakesk
Dabbler

Hi,

No

I had to remove 2 screws. must be 20 years old

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

A rectified loop fault?

A fault in the faceplate?

An old style pre 5C master socket?

Um... I'll take a guess at that one!

Is your master socket located somewhere not cosy, dry and warm?

Frakesk
Dabbler

Hi 

Has been 4 weeks now, Fault seemed better at first, although not having to restart signal kept dropping.

Then had to restart after being away for a few days, but last night had to restart twice, and seems quite slow. 

Thanks

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Frakesk, thanks for getting back to us. As your connection looks to be dropping a fair bit over the last few days I'd recommend raising a fault so we can look ot progress this further for you. Please report the fault here: faults.plus.net and feel free to give us a nudge on here after doing so and we'll happily help pick up and progress this further for you.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@pvmb wrote:

A rectified loop fault?

A fault in the faceplate?

An old style pre 5C master socket?

Um... I'll take a guess at that one!

Is your master socket located somewhere not cosy, dry and warm?

If an Openreach engineer is ever called out to the customer's premises, whatever else happens that old master socket should be automatically replaced with the newer 5C version. It's policy.