cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

_hiddenPbk suddenly appeared

David_W
Rising Star

_hiddenPbk suddenly appeared

A folder on my desktop has appeared called _hiddenPbk, inside is a 0 byte file called rasphone.  I have no idea where it came from, I do know its a proper MS folder and file to do with the phonebook for network connections, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't belong on my desktop.
I tried deleting it, but its a system folder by the looks of it so Windows just puts it back.  Google doesn't really help when I search for _hiddenPbk.
I'm pretty sure its not virus related, I haven't downloaded anything recently and I have kaspersky running too, so I'm really at a loss as to why its suddenly appeared on my desktop, and I'd like to figure out a way to remove it, unless it is something bad which being on my desktop is a sign that somethings up!
Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5
Njal
Grafter

Re: _hiddenPbk suddenly appeared

See:
"This step-by-step article describes how to use the Remote Access Phonebook (Rasphone.pbk) file to save and later restore dial-up connections, and to copy your computer's connections to other computers."
http://kbalertz.com/284269/Restore-Connections-Windows.aspx

Googling "_hidden Pbk rasphone" turns up quite a few entries.
Regards,
Neil
David_W
Rising Star

The problem is that my _hiddenPbk folder isn't where it should be, it should be in:
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk folder
Mine is in:
C:\Users\David\Desktop
Actually I don't know where it should be (Windows 7) but I do know it shouldn't be on my desktop, and I can't remove it because Windows file protection will restore vital system files if they are deleted.
Njal
Grafter

David_W
Rising Star

Oh, thats pretty interesting read.  I've checked the registry and they all seem to have a valid reason for being on my desktop.  Oh well, I guess I'll live with the desktop folder for a while, thanks for the help Smiley
Njal
Grafter