cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a PAC - why is so difficult to get it?

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I need a PAC - why is so difficult to get it?

I need a PAC from Plusnet. The website tells me I need to contact them and gives me two options - ether Chat or Call. Used Chat yesterday but was told I need to phone. Phoned but was told they are all busy and they would have to phone me back today at 11 am. - still waiting! Why is it so difficult? Just Text me the PAC for goodness sake!

5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: I need a PAC - why is so difficult to get it?

@custos

Refusal to offer a PAC when asked on the phone is in flagrant breach of the OFCOM regulations. 

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/refuse_PAC

The only reasons why a provider can refuse to give a PAC are:

• the number does not belong to the customer of the losing mobile provider
  • the account for that number has been terminated
  • the account holder has died
  • a PAC has already been issued and is still valid
  • the customer has not adequately proved that he or she is the legitimate account holder.

Being busy is absolutely not a valid excuse!

You really should fill in the OFCOM monitoring form so that these issues can be centrally counted and then the Regulator can decide if they need to take action. I know it will not intervene in your particular case but these infractions need to be reported.

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Surely they were busy talking to you? Sounds like an inexperienced agent who had no clue what you were talking about and couldn't grab a manager to ask. I'd phone back as that is just plain dumb.

custos
Aspiring Pro

Still nothing from them, I will try calling again.

custos
Aspiring Pro

This time it all went smoothly and the PAC was sent by text immediately. Sad to have to leave Plusnet Mobile as there is no deal to compete with them but unfortunately EE has no coverage at all where I need it.

MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Sad to hear you're leaving our Mobile service, but not everywhere has perfect coverage yet, so that's understandable.

Issuing PACs is something our service staff are additionally trained in. Once we've verified identity for Data Protection Act purposes we will be able to arrange an SMS and an email to the existing account address, and that PAC will expire in 30 days.

While we can usually perform this from a request through Live Chat, the consequences of incorrectly or fraudulently issuing a PAC can be serious, so if staff have any reservations or are less experienced, they are encouraged to ask customers to confirm their request by a telephone call.