cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with awful Fibre connection!

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Need help with awful Fibre connection!

@Stevef1 wrote:

So obviously there is no point me buying a new router, I think the only thing I can do is take the hit of leaving my contract early and move isp.

Changing your ISP will not fix a line fault. You'll be using the same (possibly faulty) telephone line and the same (possibly faulty) DSLAM in the cabinet. It's very unlikely that the part of the connection that is unique to Plusnet is faulty. Such things do happen but they tend to have a regional impact.

But from what Chris posted it doesn't sound like there is a line fault. You've tried a different router..have you tried a different machine? My old laptop used to have issues with Flash based testers (which I believe Speedtest.net is). You could try the Thinkbroadband HTML5 based tester instead here. Also try disabling anti-virus software, ad-blockers or 3rd party firewalls. They don't normally cause an issue but can sometimes.

Stevef1
Grafter

I have tried a different machine, my desktop and my laptop.  it's the same on both (ok, well actually the laptop is marginally worse tbh but that's wifi)

Stevef1
Grafter

Email off plusnet this morning, saying they billed me for next month, it's amusing that they can always take the money on time but providing me with a reliable connection is too much trouble it seems.  Sad

Stevef1
Grafter

Still no help Plusnet?  Sad

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry for not responding previously, testing your line isn't showing any faults on the broadband side of things, however it is highlighting a potential issue with the phone service.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 119.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-02-02T16:30:00

Have you got any noise or crackling on the phone line? It's worth asking your phone provider to run a line test (don't mention broadband). If that's clear then I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Stevef1
Grafter

Thank you for the info, going to phone BT now and get them to do a line test.

Stevef1
Grafter

BT line test came back clear "line shows no faults but you can still can call an engineer for only £129" ...**** off Tongue

Just used that link you gave to report a fault and it pretty much says the fault is with the phone line and thus not a plusnet issue.  so, I guess there's nothing you can do to help.  and as I'm simply not rich enough to drop £129 to BT for a visit, I am stuck with the issue.

Thanks anyway.

God I loathe BT, if I could get rid off the damn landline I would but virgin don't run a line down my street and satellite/mobile broadband is way too expensive, I'm stuck with BT.    robbing swines they are.