cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Squirrel Mail is so slow

warmrain
Dabbler

Re: Squirrel Mail is so slow

I can confirm that the Plusnet squirrelmail is INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLY slow and has frustrated me for months!
This is one of the absolutely awful aspects of Plusnet service and when I enquired they simply refused to acknowledge there was any problem and told me to delete some emails.
Deleting emails has made no difference and I do not see why loading an index page of 20 emails has to take 1 minute or more on a 8 meg connection.
This aspect of the service really irritates me together with several other things which supports my impression that Plusnet has deteriorated and inherited the unfortunate BT philosophy of not really caring about their customers and sometimes being devious in its marketing etc, ever since Plusnet got taken over by BT. All download speeds have also deteriorated since takeover in my experience.
I am a longstanding but increasingly disillusioned customer.
cpcnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Firefox on Windows seems to make Squirrel slower. IE is faster. On Linux @ FF it seems alot quickler to me. Perhaps some techs can figure out the settings for FF on Win to speed things up?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Seems a lot quicker to me to day.  Smiley
Not applicable

Very slow again today.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Yep very slow again today and geting:
ERROR:
ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: EXPUNGE
[Edit]
It was a lot faster the other day wen PlusNet removed one of the email Servers.
Hint PlusNet removed that email Server and do a full diagnostik on it.
[Edit]
Woops mist out that I am getting:
"ERROR
This page request could not be verified and appears to have expired.
Go to the login page"
This happens all the time, it must be going on for the 50th time today.  Angry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Afternoon guys,
I suspect this has something to do with a problem we've had open for a while now (ref: 64600). There's a process that runs on the mail collection servers that keeps 'core dumping' due to memory leaks. The problem will be intermittent in nature as it only seems to affect one specific machine at any given time. We've rolled numerous patches but we're the problem is still happening on occasion.
mailc19 was being flagged by our monitoring systems a short while ago so we'll probably restart it to see if it improves the situation...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Juste logged in to Squirrel Mail and got:
ERROR:
Query: COPY 27321 "INBOX.Trash"
Then Logged out and back in and got this:

ERROR:
[Edit]
As per normal went to delet a email and got:
"ERROR
This page request could not be verified and appears to have expired.
Go to the login page"
This is not no.   Angry
[Edit]
Go to deled some more email and get this:
ERROR:
then
ERROR:
Query: COPY 27322:27328 "INBOX.Trash"
then
ERROR:
Then it deleted the emails, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this is bad today well I am off out to the Dr.  with look wen I get back it will work better than it is now!
ChrisDancer
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
There's a process that runs on the mail collection servers that keeps 'core dumping' due to memory leaks. The problem will be intermittent in nature as it only seems to affect one specific machine at any given time.

I can believe it's something like that. It gets worse and worse over a period of a couple of days then finally collapses with lots of error messages. Then it miraculously works again the next day. Whenever one of your service people logs on as me and checks my webmail it always works fine for them, and that usually fixes it temporarily for me too. Something to do with the combination of Firefox and an ADSL line maybe?
I don't think it's a problem with the Squirrelmail program itself, more likely what it's running on (nuts?).