Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Huge security hole in plusnet email

You chose your Plusnet name...

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

You still haven't explained the risk, and have been advised there is no real risk in the Plusnet system. TBH, if you are that concerned, the simple, painless option is to not use a Plusnet email address.

John
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Actually that's a good point Browni, although I very much doubt that anyone realises the full implications of their choice at the time, I certainly didn't. However, to the best of my knowledge it's never been a problem in the many years I have been with Plusnet. Many people use their name and birth year which is rather revealing!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@custos wrote:

The account username is also used as a hostname when using the Internet and often identifies you when you visit websites.

Only if you have opted for a static IP address and haven't changed the reverse DNS entry.

custos
Aspiring Pro

That may be the case ejs but how many people would know that or how to do anything about it? A quick trawl using one of my Apps shows lots of Plusnet customers displaying personal account information.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The customers have to do something to get the static IP address, so really they should understand or have it explained to them what it involves. Or Plusnet could change the default for a static IP address. If your app requires people on it to have a static IP address, then it won't be a representative sample of all Plusnet customers, I expect overall most won't have a static IP address.

tiredeyes
Grafter

You chose your Plusnet name... 

I choose my yahoo account username but it doesn't make up my email address (x10 available), so again, what is it about this you're NOT GETTING.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

What part of "This lets you log into our website and forms part of your Plusnet email address" do you not understand?
tiredeyes
Grafter

hahahaha

You've just highlighted the point I'm making, your username SHOULD NOT make up part your email address.

Let me know when you finally figure it out kid.

custos
Aspiring Pro

Actually tiredeyes, I tend to agree with you, but it does, and it seems we are stuck with it. I don't use my Plusnet email account, although Plusnet does when it sends me messages. As a matter of interest, had I realised that it would identify me on public platforms when I signed up I would have chosen a different username but at the time it was done (on the phone) I certainly did not realise the full implications of my choice. Perhaps rather naively, I assumed that it would only be used for Plusnet admin purposes. To be fare, as others have said it is now made fairly clear when you sign up on line.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Plusnet's email addresses take the same form as Freeserve did (remember them?) eg xxx@username.freeserve.net and give some flexibility unlike other ISPs eg username@btinternet.com, username@o2.co.uk, username@sky,com etc.
tiredeyes
Grafter

You're just talking nonsense now kid, I could create a BT or SKY email address divvybrown@btinternet.com/@sky.com and that would NOT be my username for my entire BT/SKY account.

I know >

BT allow x10 email addresses, no username in email address

SKY allow x10 email address, no username in email address

I don't know about O2 but I know I was very surprised to find Plusnet force you to have your username in the email address, you can dress it up how you like but it is in effect telling everyone (who you email) what your Plusnet username is, for your entire Plusnet account, lets hope no one you email knows your dogs name and birth date ehh ?

This doesn't happen with any other ISP I've ever used and it is a security hole.

Now unless you actually have anything to contribute to the discussion I'd suggest you leave it there browni, thanks.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Considering those were actual ISP accounts I had, it's fact, not nonsense.

If you don't like the Plusnet email address, don't use it. Simples.
tiredeyes
Grafter

I've told you those ISPs allow you to create email addresses WITHOUT using your account username.

Mate, you clearly don't understand my concerns or what I'm saying, please just leave this thread alone and stop embarrassing yourself.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Perhaps people do understand your concerns, but do not share your opinion of how significant the issue is?

And some ISPs don't even provide an email service these days. A bit like how ISPs stopped providing a little bit of web hosting space. I think Plusnet are more likely to stop providing email, or completely outsource it somehow, rather than make any substantial improvements to the service they offer.