Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

So why hasn't the SSL on SMTP that many users have testing for the last two years been rolled out?

At least sending via a secure connection would give people the comfort that progress was being made.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sarginson

Aside from customers desires to use more secure comms certain apps are moving to only supporting SLS/TLS, the Spark email client from Readdle is a good example of a modern client that doesn't support plain text comms.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Had e mail from TT today advising all users to ensure they have SSL turned on. Meanwhile at PN it's drifting in ether after

years of promises.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Is this thread still on-going?  I asked when we'd be getting a TLS certificate over a year ago...

druck1
Hooked

A year? I think we've been asking for 6 or 7 now.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

I've been asking for it for just over a year...  I think I need to investigate moving to Exchange Online in Office 365 again...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@bobpullen,

Hi Bob - I really do not want to "pick" on you, for you are one of the people who still makes things - within your purview - happen.  However, as I have noted before, the rest of PlusNet really have let you down over the years, thus one does understand your total reluctance to say anything on anything!

bobpullen wrote: [26-09-2014 9:49 AM ]
Quote from: jelv
From that I think we can safely take it that we won't see it for at least a year.

Ye of little faith Wink

bobpullen wrote: [‎28-09-2014 10:39 PM]
I doubt it comes as a surprise for me to tell you that it's not quite as simple as that.
Priorities change, and the telecommunications industry is fairly fast moving as I'm sure most who post here understand.
I could give you a date (and I'd have a fair amount of faith in it), but should that date slip, I wouldn't want to be held accountable.
I've made that mistake before and I'd rather share news once we've something more tangible Wink

bobpullen wrote: [‎01-10-2014 10:53 AM]
Thanks for the feedback Tony.
We're all aware of the implications and we are still committed to delivering.
I know everyone's been waiting an age for this, and we've made a few false promises in the past.
If you can hold out and be patient for just a while longer though, then you never know, Santa might just show up with an early Christmas present.

That hint of an early Christmas present was 2014 ... and we are still waiting.  Should we continue to wait in hope?  For how much longer?  Does anyone at PlusNet honestly believe that the delay can be justified on any basis of reasonable measurement?

@jelv - at least a year - I bet you now wish you'd laid a big wager on PlusNet over delivering this one?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Townman wish i had a £ everytime PN staff asked to give us time we will get there ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No all we get is the PN sorry Lips_are_sealed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Perhaps Santa will deliver?
Wonder if it'll be a 2017 objective for PN, which must have been laid down/ agreed/funded by now.
neilhobbs
Rising Star

Has anything developed on this over the last month?  We're in 2017 Plusnet...

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Don't nag at them. Their single part-time tecchy guy is poring over the manual for the Raspberry Pi email server.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
neilhobbs
Rising Star

Funny

druck1
Hooked

Let me fix that for you Neil:-

"Has anything developed on this over the last year?  We're in the 21st century Plusnet..."

I'm sure any Linux novice could get a Raspberry Pi email server up and running before we get a response from a PlusNet bod on here.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@druck1 wrote:

Let me fix that for you Neil:-

"Has anything developed on this over the last year?  We're in the 21st century Plusnet..."

Funny

Plusnet are still running steam powered infrastructure...

PhilHawker
Dabbler

@neilhobbs wrote:

I've been asking for it for just over a year...  I think I need to investigate moving to Exchange Online in Office 365 again...

Did this late last year - the process is a bit of a nightmare if you have a personal domain registered at PN, and MS increased the cost for new accounts by 20% on Jan 1st, but overall definitely worthwhile given the combination of performance problems and lack of security in the PN email solution. The overall Exchange Online / O365 product is wonderfully comprehensive and impressive, although a bit daunting to set up  - you certainly get what you pay for!