Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Problems with Webmail

Slight correction: POP3 has an option to leave the messages on the server, most clients have the ability to say permanently or for x days. The problem can be if the client forgets which messages it has already downloaded; all the old messages still on the server are downloaded again as new messages.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
vanessen
Rising Star

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

jelv,

(I know this is not the right place for this, but I don't know where else to go, having failed to get anywhere with it on the MS forum.  I still don't know if the following is a Microsoft Outlook software fault or something caused by the PlusNet email software.)

I have exactly the problem you describe, in that my email client (MS Outlook 2016) does forget from time to time which emails it has previously downloaded to my computer and downloads them again (sometimes several times).  I had no such problem with previous Outlook versions (Outlook 2003 and earlier ones).  It is real pain having to keep deleting the duplicated emails and also to have to take remedial action (when they are many) of going on to the server with Webmail to delete them, to stop the repeated downloading.

[Background: - I use POP3.  I have set up Outlook on the PC to leave my emails on the server for a week after they are downloaded to the PC. This gives me a window of at least a week to view them on my smartphone before they disappear from the server. - I have set up Samsung Email app on the phone such that it does not delete emails from the server when I delete them from the phone, thus ensuring that all emails still reach my PC. - IMAP does not suit me, because I want (for my own purposes) the PC to be my permanent repository for my emails and only to see recent emails on the phone.  Any that I delete on the phone after processing I do not want to be (sync) deleted at the PC. -  I am perfectly happy that emails that have been automatically deleted from the server by Outlook on the PC, or that I have explicitly deleted by logging on to PlusNet Webmail (when it actually *£$%^& works!), are no longer accessible on the phone. end-background]

Do you have any knowledge of how the client (Outlook) keeps track of which emails it has previously downloaded, so as not to download them again, and exactly how it later deletes those that have passed their specified 'keep me' interval?  If I knew this, I might get to understand how it sometimes 'forgets', as you put it, and annoyingly downloads them again. It might also help me eliminate PlusNet as the cause of the problem.

Vanessen:

This comment is perhaps too late for your trip, but the set-up that spraxyt, jaread83 and jelv have described would do what you want, I think, and using an email client does work around the problem that PlusNet Webmail seems still to be having. Just be aware that if you use IMAP (which is what you must do if you want your emails to remain on the server), then emails will always be synchronised at all your devices, so deleting at one will delete at all. (This was one of several things that did not suit me, which is why I have used POP3 with modifications as described above.)

Also be aware that once you are away from your home PlusNet router, if you try to use a client (e.g. Outlook) to handle emails, then (as I found when away): (a) you will not be able to send any emails from PlusNet without first configuring the account on the client program such that it signs you on to the server just as when you are receiving emails (not needed when you are on your PlusNet network at home); and (b) PlusNet severely limits how many emails you can send per hour – I found when away that when I tried to send Christmas greetings to a dozen or so friends, PlusNet returned me a failure message treating me as a spammer! I raised a ticket about this and was told it was an anti-spam measure which I had to accept. The only way out was to send separate emails over a period of time.

Using PlusNet WebMail directly was better, as I remember, but then I had to BCC myself in in order to retain any copies I wanted on Outlook. Tedious all round.

If there is a better place to post this, then, like Vanessen, I’d be happy to continue there.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There is a way you could use IMAP that I think may be a starting point to meet your needs.

Create a folder or folders on the PC to save all the messages and archive all the messages in to these folders when you no longer need access to them on the phone.

On the phone just don't subscribe to those folders. As you archive messages on the PC they will disappear from the phone. Also, if the phone app has the option to not store emails on the phone which is configurable on a folder by folder basis, you could subscribe to the folders on the phone which would mean they'd also be moved on the PC so you only need to handle each email once.

Given the issues that happen with POP3, I'd want to avoid using it at all costs!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ColinD

I note your problem dated back to October 2016 - today I am still having similar problems - Plusnet keep promising they have their engineers investigating the problem BUT the problem (apparently unique to Plusnet as other email providers eg BT, GMAIL, appear to operate as would be desired) still persists over 4 months. Plusnet do not appear to realise what a lifeline the email service is particularly for us oldies who are also non-techy.

Whilst I accept that problems do occur from time to time, for any organisation not to have resolved the issue after 4 months is a total dereliction of duty, or a worrying implication of greater problems within the Plusnet organisation. I think this is a great shame as I have been with Plusnet for several years now and the problems appear to correlate with the growth of the organisation.

Does anybody know how I can migrate all my current saved emails from Plusnet webmail to another email provider?

colintivy
Rising Star

@ColinD 

Welcome to the madhouse!! 

I cannot help to notice that there is another email sufferer with our name!! I would like to update you about the duration of our troubles. I can remember it was early last May when things went really pear-shaped after several oddities in service occasionally. If you fancy some archeology,you will see that  the posts thereabouts are quite revealing! The language used by many of our sufferers is fully warranted. The latest and most helpful status statement might be a small comfort I suppose!! It is the fact that most mortals feel trapped to stay with PN because they use their email addresses as evidence of their identity to firms wanting their custom. The task of changing lists of firms affected is not something to be ignored.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could gradually migrate to gmail, if you don't mind the adverts.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

And here I am again after months of this garbage and it is still happening I seem to be where I was back in October ages for e mail to load will not send e mails for no apparent reason other than it doesn't want to ! So from my point of view PN have actually not done anything to improve this it went from bad to worse and got better or back to bad and has stayed there so once my subscription runs out ( I pay for this so called service with a domain by the way) I will be moving on even BT mail is much better than this which is saying something.

nanobot37

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the totally unacceptable quality of the  Webmail service, the complete failure to address & rectify its faults and your total inability to provide any meaningful way for customers to contact support staff or report faults.  The ” Live chat” service appears to be continually unavailable, waiting time for access via phone support line is not realistic,  you take little or no notice of hundreds of complaints about Webmail on multiple threads on the user community site. Worse still you do not publicize any email address or external telephone numbers on your website.    

As a loyal long term Plusnet customer I am very frustrated that your once legendary service has now fallen to an all-time low. Your current TV advertising is extremely misleading & yours claims about “big dog” customer care are not the actual experience of a large number of customers & your service has in actual fact “gone to the dogs”.

Plusnets webmail service has been unusable for the last four months & is no longer fit for purpose.

In order to continue using email I have been forced to move my mail accounts from Plusnet Webmail to the BT Premium Mail service which now costs me an additional £5.00 per month. Consequently I expect Plusnet to reduce my monthly service rental by £5.00 month with immediate effect. 

Unless some action is taken over this issue I will cease to be a Plusnet line, phone & broadband customer.

Any Plusnet person reading these complaints on the community site that can action this ?

colintivy
Rising Star

It is strange that folks are still experiencing awful performance with emails. I find today that the performance is quite acceptable which ties in with Sunday's last week (Post 741).. Surely this must prove that it is possible to cope with the load when it, presumably, low enough. I have been able to clear up a lot of unimportant emails with ease and send things that were not urgent enough to wait long spells for them to go.

A limited "Well done" chaps!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Absolutely terrible just now Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I have to say that Thunderbird with IMAP has been working perfectly (for me) for the last couple of weeks.

I presume that it's the webmail GUI that is the problem?

The whole webmail debacle has led to me archiving ALL email on my local machine.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your patience whilst we try to fix the problems with mail. We have made some progress in the last few weeks but realise that we have a long way to go yet.

Those of you with Madasafish email accounts that are missing address books should now find them restored, if anyone is still having address book issues please can you let me know?

Thanks

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
bobthegas

I have had the same problem during February 2017. My email client login is rejected by PlusNet despite using the same credentials when I successfully login to webmail. All I get is "Unable to verify account name or password". What is going on?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@bobthegas, is the client using POP3 or IMAP, and is it a Plusnet or Madasafish email address you're trying to access. Your problem doesn't sound related to the performance degradation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵