cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading firmware of Technicolor TG582n?

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Upgrading firmware of Technicolor TG582n?

I'll make sure this is fed back as to why you were told it couldn't be done, I'm presuming my colleague simply didn't know.
We're not in a position to be able to push this out  on a the mass scale that would be required at the minute.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Chris,
What is the presently recommended firmware level for each of the routers supplied by PN?  The JTH page referenced some while ago on this thread has no date on it indicating its currency.
What is PN's position on delivering updates via the central management system?  It seems to me that having invested in TR69 technology / support that an opportunity is being missed by not using that investment to deliver firmware updates automatically... after PN have verified the usefulness of the updates.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PasPer2
Dabbler

Hi,
Is the Technicolor TG582n still issued to new customers / supported for existing customers?
My firmware is 8.C.M.0 but I cant update on Windows 8.1. Can this be done remotely by PN?
Thanks, Alex
u123072
Grafter

Quote from: PasPer2
Hi,
Is the Technicolor TG582n still issued to new customers / supported for existing customers?
My firmware is 8.C.M.0 but I cant update on Windows 8.1. Can this be done remotely by PN?
Thanks, Alex

I have just received the following response to my ticket:
Quote from: Zahir
Unfortunately we do not support the upgrading of the for this router. However, there are some great tips on our community forums.

They provide a link to this thread!
I have tried multiple times to upgrade (win7) with failure each time.
If this router is no longer supported I would like to upgarde to one that is please.
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Likewise same model and firmware (8.C.M.0). I don't need to update but I am concerned if I have the latest approved firmware from a security perspective. Just been reading about the WPS vulnerability and a bit confused by that. Is my 582n at risk or is WPS disabled? I thought it was only enabled if I press the WPS button? Then I see there's some firmware that disables it after 5 attempts, but do I have that firmware? (though one comment says this is easily worked around by hackers). Other comments say some firmware versions disable it permanently. I recall using WPS button on mine a while back, but would PN have rolled out an update to my router, or has it not changed since I got it?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi deadkenny,
From speaking with the team internally and also having a search there isn't anything we're aware of with regards to WPS vulnerabilities in your firmware build. In addition to this we're currently on firmware version 10.2.5.2 internally so this is what we would update you to if you wanted to do so, we can arrange for this to be done remotely for you.
Hope this helps.
edwardmoorhouse

Are you still able to remotely update Technicolour TG582n routers? I have raised a support ticket about this but I received this confusing answer:

Sadly we do not have the ability to update the routers anymore.
This was a feature we where able to do on our Thomson TG585 routers but sadly the system was updated to allow updates for the technicolor routers.

Yet just last September you offered this. Also, this seems to suggest I have a Thompson router but mine is technicolour (as I stated).
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Edward,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Indeed a strange response - the TG582n is remotely updatable.  Hopefully someone for CRT will be along to rectify this...  Grin
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

edwardmoorhouse

Thanks Kevin
That is re-assuring. Hopefully it is just a simple case of missreading my ticket. I pointed them towards this thread to backup my request. I'm hoping a firmware update will help my browsing speed and allow my iphone to view youtube videos on the app again. Fingers crossed!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Edward,
I doubt that a firmware upgrade will achieve what you hope.  There is no doubt that an upgrade to 10.2.2.B firmware will deliver improved stability, if your connectivity is as poor as you imply, there is something else which needs investigation.
May be you can explain what you see the problem to be.
iPhone based issues, might simply be WiFi based issues.
Speed issues need evidence - as requested in the speed issues thread at the top of this forum.
Is the phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the master socket.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
Are there any extensions.
...I would seek to eliminate all of the usual culprits before seeking a firmware upgrade.

NB: A separate thread to follow all of this up would be sensible
Kevin

guydarbyshire

I own a technicolor TG582n running firmware version 8.4.4.J
I am running Windows 7.
I have tried to update the firmware using the flashing utility provided.
However I can only get as far as the part where I click 'Have Disk' then 'Browse' and navigate to the firmware image but  the firmware image fails to appear in the wizard as described in Step 8 (http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7/).
Any ideas if a firmware update is possible?
Router details are:
Product Name: TG582n
Software Release: 8.4.4.J
Software Variant: BE
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.1
Product Code: 3689964B
Board Name: DANT-1
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

DANT-1 is not a Plusnet 582n. Plusnet supplied the DANT-T. The firmwares for each variant are not interchangeable, sorry.
footmanj

Can Plusnet upgrade my Technicolor router for me remotely?
Software Release: 10.2.2.B
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have:
Serial Number: CP133xxxxxxx
Software Release: 10.2.2.B
Software Variant: EH
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.5
Product Code: 3701603C
Board Name: DANT-T
Does this need upgrading to the latest firmware; can that be done remotely if I send a ticket ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There isn't any 582n firmware newer than 10.2.2.B intended for ADSL use from Plusnet.