Did you mean: 

Using the Technicolor TG582n in Bridge Mode

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Using the Technicolor TG582n in Bridge Mode

Quote from: dubstonfarm

OK I will give it a go.

Those instructions are for configuring the TG582n as a wireless access point, I don't think that's what you asked for. It certainly won't get the R8000 connected to ADSL.
From what you said in your first post:
What I want to do is connect the phone (internet) line to the Technicolor TG582n and then put the internet signal from that (via ethernet?) into the Netgear R8000, and have that wirelessly transmit internet around my house.

Then you need to use the above telnet commands to put the TG582n in to bridge mode, it will then act as a modem for your new cable router.
Don't know about using telnet on a MAC but google will find the answer.
dubstonfarm

Then you need to use the above telnet commands to put the TG582n in to bridge mode, it will then act as a modem for your new cable router.
Don't know about using telnet on a MAC but google will find the answer.

These commands?
Quote from: ochristmas
In case it helps - this is what I did to get my Technicolor TG582n into Bridge Mode and connected to ASUS RT-N66U router.
1. Wire connected a laptop to asus router
2. set the router's WAN connection type to PPPoE ( page 64 of manual ) and put plusnet username &password in the Authentication section.
3. router then sits there trying to connect (which it can't)
4. open terminal connection to modem
5. pasted the following commands:
ppp relay flush
ppp flush
eth flush
atm flush
atm phonebook flush
saveall
atm phonebook add name=BrPPPoE_ph addr=0.38
atm ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_atm
atm ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_atm dest=BrPPPoE_ph  encaps=llc ulp=mac
atm ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_br
eth bridge ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_br dest=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_br
service system modify name=DHCP-S state=disabled
wireless radio state=disabled
saveall
I did have an issue that "wireless radio state=disabled" wasn't recognised but ignored that.
6. Connect LAN port 1 of the TG582n modem to the WAN port of the ASUS router.
That should be it.
Hope that helps.  Big thanks MisterW and the various forum threads for helping.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

telnet is much the same on any operating system, what Windows calls a Command Prompt other systems call a terminal.
dubstonfarm

So what Telnet address should I use to achieve this:
4. open terminal connection to modem
Cheers
Stewart
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

192.168.1.254 is the default IP address of the 582n.
jifen

Hi Guys, I have had a good read and cannot decide if this post helps me...
I am a plusnet customer and have two technicolour TG582n routers.
One is connected to my fibre downstairs and I wanted to set the other up in my office to act as a switch and (hopefully) bridge wirelessly to my other main router for internet access etc
So basically a wireless bridge with wired clients at each end - possible ?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

AFAIK that's not possible with the TG582 I'm afraid.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: jifen

So basically a wireless bridge with wired clients at each end - possible ?

Yes it's possible with the Technicolor routers, it's called "Wireless Distribution System" (WDS).
Unfortunately, in my experience it doesn't work very well -- slow with high packet loss.
IMO you would be far better looking at using a pair of home-plugs to connect the two routers together.
WDS config:
http://npr.me.uk/wds.html
j4ckb

Hi All, I've just joined plus net and discovered this thread via google. Some useful information, thanks.
I've never actually used telnet unfortunately but I'm willing to learn how to.
Similar to some other users' posts I'm wondering if the commands discussed are applicable to my situation. A lot seem to mention using the TG582n as a modem, which I don't believe I want to do.
I have an existing router upstairs which I have successfully used to connect to plusnet once my line/account went live. It works fine (as an ADSL modem?) and I'd like to keep it to run DHCP, wireless SSID and maintain my list of hard-coded IPs.
I'd like to use my new TG582n (with latest firmware) as a wired bridge downstairs (via powerline) and wireless extender only. Would someone be able to point me to the correct telnet commands to achieve this, if it is indeed possible?
Many thanks,
Jack
ianmanning2016
Dabbler

Just reviving this thread as I'm moving back to Plusnet ADSL2 from Sky this week, and would like to use my TG582n router in bridge mode with my Asus RT-AC68U. My current plan is to try to upload a bridge mode template as per the instructions elsewhere from Zen Internet. However my plan B would be to go the telnet route, using the CLI instructions previously posted here.

Can anyone confirm whether the telnet instructions work on firmware version 10.2.2.B, which is my current firmware version?