cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reoccurring fault - gets fixed, then returns.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Reoccurring fault - gets fixed, then returns.

I always think that it seems unlikely that SNRM changes or anything much affecting the DSL could cause wildly varying ping times. A low SNRM or any other issues that increase the DSL error rate would cause packet loss, but would not affect the latency of the surviving packets.

Perhaps setting up some sort of ping / latency monitor, such as the ThinkBroadband broadband quality monitor would be useful.

shimynor
Dabbler

The reason I reset again is because this time I got told to reset 5 minutes after the SNR was set again, but in the past I've been told 4 hours. My ping a little more stable currently, but something is still up.

I downloaded router stats but how do I set it up for the PN router?

And thanks, I am waiting for the confirmation email from Thinkbroadband so I can download it.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sorry, I should have asked which router? The 2704n is not amenable to being monitored. If it's the TG582n then see the link below for a guide to setting up most of the parameters.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shimynor
Dabbler

No problem, I have a 2740n.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Testing your line is showing it in perfect condition with 0 errors.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 5.1 11.0
SNR Margin: 6.0 6.0
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 6118320 101821904
Speed: 1268 20394

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 20416 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 16333
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 86400
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 86400

Are you experiencing any other issues besides the latency?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shimynor
Dabbler

Yes as far as I can tell everything else is fine, including the speed etc like you say. The latency is strange even when it's close to fine. I've had it sit at a steady 14-15ms in the past, but right now it's as low as 20 and jumping upto 30 (which is practically fine, just looks a bit jittery).

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What other routers do you have besides the 2704n?

shimynor
Dabbler

Do you mean routers that I could test? 

To update: I got an message yesterday saying they had set my SNR margin again as it was too low and I was advised to reset the router again. Testing this morning, the latency on my line is still playing up, it sits around 30-40ms and will jump into the 100s of ms, which is still not good.

Edit: latency going into the 1000s now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hmm, can you try a traceroute to the website/server you're having latency problems with?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shimynor
Dabbler

Well I testing pings with google in cmd prompt, but games also show the latency issue. I will PM you the results.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your private message.

Nothing wrong with that traceroute that I can see. Besides the high ping whilst gaming, are you noticing any performance issues? If so, is this with more than 1 game?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shimynor
Dabbler

No it's not just one game, it's any game and not just games, but when pinging in the cmd prompt to google. I have attached a screenshot to show how sporadic this is.

I have just noticed that on the PN router Helpdesk section it's showing:

Noise margin: 33.6/6.1

Which seems pretty high?

I am not noticing any other problems really, I mean sometimes a webpage or video may take a little longer to load than normal, which could correlate with when I'm getting bad latency, but this isn't for sure. It feels like little "blips" in the line (as you can see from the screenshot).

And just to add, before I was getting pings of ~15ms, I'd settle for 30ms, but strange how it never goes below 28/29 now?

shimynor
Dabbler

So I just done another speed test and it seems that the download/upload speed are also very jumpy. I usually get at least 15mbps and 1mbps up, but this time the download was jumping around that mark and the upload started at practically no speed and only reach around 0.2, which is probably explaining bad latency with hardly anything happening on the network.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I have just noticed that on the PN router Helpdesk section it's showing:

Noise margin: 33.6/6.1

Which seems pretty high?

Don't worry about those noise margins, the downstream is at a target of 6 and it's currently at 6.1, the upstream is also targetted at 6db but it's at 33.6 which means there's a good amount of overhead on it. The upload is now appearing as capped though, which won't be helping with latency problems. If something is maxing out the upload (very easy to do with a 440 upload speed) then this can adversely impact the download and latency.

I've placed an order to uncap this and it should complete tomorrow. Let us know how the connection is performing after that.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shimynor
Dabbler

Okay great thank you.

Nothing is really being uploaded other than what is required for browsing/games etc. It just seems that the upload is so slow that even the smallest thing is maxing it out.