cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SItecom modem router connection problem

kernow

SItecom modem router connection problem

I have just purchased a Sitecom modem router model DC 224. 
I have set up the configuration the same as on  my old modem router (as far as I can tell).  It seems to be connecting OK to the broadband service, showing my IP on the WAN and the DNS IP. 
However I am completely unable to view any websites.
Any suggestions on what else I may need to configure?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: SItecom modem router connection problem

Is the IP of the router different to the old router. If so have you checked that your PC has the correct IP address for the Default Gateway?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume you can see the router via the web interface and if so try going through this list from here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/general_setup_guide.shtml
4. Connecting to the Internet
Now your router or modem is installed you'll need to configure it to connect to the Internet.
If you're setting up a router (wired or wireless):
You'll need to connect to the router's configuration screens and enter your account details. You can usually access these using a web browser. Check your router's instructions on how to do this. Once you've accessed your router's setup screens, enter your username and password:
   * Broadband Username: username@plusdsl.net
   * Password: The password you use to log in to this website
On some routers you may also need these details:
   * Data Circuit Information: VPI = 0 (Virtual Path Identifier) VCI = 38 (Virtual Channel Identifier)
   * Data Link Encapsulation: PPPoA
   * PPP Properties: VC Multiplexed
Once the router confirms that it's connected, open a web browser (such as Internet Explorer or Safari) and you'll be able to browse the web and check email immediately.
Just realised - was your previous modem a USB modem and not a router
kernow

Quote from: Oldjim
I assume you can see the router via the web interface and if so try going through this list from here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/general_setup_guide.shtml

I can see the router through a web interface and I have been through the setup guide as above.  On the page showing the staus of the connection everything looks fine.
The old modem router was also ethernet, not USB. 
kernow

Quote from: jelv
Is the IP of the router different to the old router. If so have you checked that your PC has the correct IP address for the Default Gateway?

The IP of the router is different, but I have checked on the local area connection status and the correct default gateway is showing. .....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try disabling the computer firewall as it might be blocking it
kernow

Quote from: Oldjim
Try disabling the computer firewall as it might be blocking it

Already given that one a go. Tried shutting down windows firewall (XP)  Have two computers linked in to the router both with different anti-virus software on and have tried disabling firewall on those too but no luck.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you go so the command prompt (start, run, cmd) and run the following commands please:
ipconfig /all
tracert 212.159.6.9
and post the full results please. Also could you say what the IP address of the router is please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kernow

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Problem now solved.
In case anyone else gets this, the problem was that NAT translation was disabled.
On this router I tried using Manual Configuration, as automatic configuration is only set up for BT and AOL.  However many times I set NAT translation to enable, it kept reverting back immediately to being disabled (a bug I think).
I finally got round it by opting to use the automatic configuration for a BT connection, which has the require encapsulation and settings.  However this did set the router with NAT translation enabled and it has stayed that way.
I now have my NAT 2 connection to the Playstation which was what I was after all along. Smiley