cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backhaul arrangements for Market 1 exchange.

machare
Rising Star

Backhaul arrangements for Market 1 exchange.

Would the backhaul arrangements from a Market 1 exchange be the same for a Plusnet consumer ADSL account as for a JohnLewis/Waitroese account.

At the moment the exchange WNTRB just has ADSL not ADSL2(+).  BT have said that all such exchanges will be upgraded to ADSL2+ by the end of next year.  When this happens will Plusnet increase the capacity of their backhaul?

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Backhaul arrangements for Market 1 exchange.

Plusnet don't have backhaul from the exchange - that is BT Wholesale so they would look after it and there is no difference between all the Plusnet brands

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

machare
Rising Star

@@Oldjim.  Thank you.  Are the Plusnet arrangements for consumer and business backhaul the same?

i.e. would the contention ratio be the same?

Oddly, the Plusnet business broadband appears to be cheaper than the consumer broadband.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

there is no such thing as contention ratio nowadays

have you added VAT to the Business prices

machare
Rising Star

The Plusnet web site does not make clear whether VAT is included. Even if I add 20% to the business price, it still works out cheaper, much the same a John Lewis. Possibly due to it being a Market 1 exchange.

I am not sure what you mean by no contention ratio. Recently, there was definitely contention in the evenings. Is there a way to get the contention reduced? i.e. persuade Plusnet to increase the capacity.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's shared across all ISPs using a BT Wholesale supplied service which boils down to all except the LLU suppliers who have their own equipment in the exchange such as Sky and TalkTalk.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
machare
Rising Star

@jelv There are no LLU operators at the exchange. I did have a Post Office ADSL a/c. They use Talk Talk for backhaul and the service was useless in the evening to the extent that they let me terminate it early. AIUI this is because Talk Talk don't pay enough for the backhaul arrangement.