Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing fault since 2015?

FIXED
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Ongoing fault since 2015?

So, being as I signed the outlaws up to PN in 2015, I'm involved in this one too Roll_eyes

It's regarding their unlimited BB (not fibre) connection, of which some of the following probably applies:

Service Notice #229612508
11:58pm, Monday 11 May 2015
A router has been created
Serial: N7*********6191
Model: Plusnet F@ST 2704N ADSL

The above is the make and model of their router
-----

Service Notice #229973230
4:28am, Friday 15 May 2015
Subject: Your Plusnet Protect software is available to download

Thanks for choosing Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee. This is now ready for download.

AFAIK, the above wasn't asked for, can this be confirmed that this (including the costs) has never been applied, please?
-----

Service Notice #231557237
7:03am, Friday 29 May 2015
Subject: About your broadband speed

When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.

Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.

Estimated line speed: 8Mbps
Current line speed: 4Mbps

This is the only speed details I can see on their account
-----

Service Notice #243593734
2:08am, Thursday 10 Sep 2015
An update report has been received for this account.

The broadband service is now being transferred to the 21C Network.

The transfer will complete by midnight on 23/09/2015.

Ok, fair enough. It's good to see they notify the customer when their connection is being upgraded
-----

Service Notice #244195951
9:06pm, Tuesday 15 Sep 2015
An update report has been received for this account.

The broadband service is now being transferred to the 21C Network.

The transfer will complete by midnight on 10/11/2015.

But, this was supposed to happen on 23/09/15 Huh
-----

Question #114763970 - Your Feedback
9:37am, Friday 20 Nov 2015
Your fault has now been raised with our suppliers for further investigation.

They have advised the estimated time for response is 25/11/2015.

Please note this is only a estimate and the fault could be resolved before this date, however we will continue to monitor for updates from them and if we are able to provide an update sooner than this we will do so.

**internal**

Fault Type: NDT
Test Results: FU (Fault located at exchange (Openreach side of MDF))
Fault Ref: TR000000*******
Estimated Response Time: 24/11/2015 23:59
-----
9:38am, Friday 20 Nov 2015
On hold till after ERT

This Question is now on hold until Wednesday 25th November at 12:00am.
-----
9:46am, Friday 20 Nov 2015
The Question 114763970 has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - Phone Faults - Logged

(Received via text message) Thank you
-----
5:14pm, Monday 23 Nov 2015
Thank you for your patience.

Our suppliers have informed us they have cleared a fault on your line. They believe this has rectified the issue you reported to us.

I hope this clears things up for you. I will now close the fault as we have agreed.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
-----
5:15pm, Monday 23 Nov 2015
**INTERNAL**

Closing as resolved.

So that's issue #1, which may or may not have sorted the issue....?
-----

Question #114826325 - Your Feedback
2:16pm, Saturday 21 Nov 2015
Eu called as broadband not working advised connected to phone fault and will be up and running together.

As they have never used their portal, they probably weren't aware of the open ticket.....?
-----

Question #117431194 - Your Feedback
2:05pm, Tuesday 5 Jan 2016
Your fault has now been raised with our suppliers for further investigation.

They have advised the estimated time for response is 07/01/16.

Please note this is only a estimate and the fault could be resolved before this date, however we will continue to monitor for updates from them and if we are able to provide an update sooner than this we will do so.

**internal**

Fault Type: No Dial Tone
Test Results: Fault located between DP and premises
Fault Ref: TR000000*******
Estimated Response Time: 07/01/16 23:59:59
-----
2:06pm, Tuesday 5 Jan 2016
This Question is now on hold until Friday 8th January at 7:00am.
-----
7:07am, Friday 8 Jan 2016
Question [ 117431194 ] is now off hold. Our Support Team will provide a further update soon.
-----
12:08pm, Friday 8 Jan 2016
Thanks for your patience.

BT Openreach have advised that they have cleared a fault on your line and they believe this has now resolved the issue you reported to us. If you are still having problems with your line, feel free to reply to this message and we will investigate the problem further, else it will close automatically after 14 days.

If you are happy this problem is resolved, please DO NOT reply to this message, it will close automatically after 14 days. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
-----
6:10am, Saturday 23 Jan 2016
Question closed automatically after 14 days of inactivity.

So issue #2, may or may not have been sorted......?
-----

Question #121898798 - Your Feedback
8:48am, Saturday 12 Mar 2016

EU called for auth failure - Reboot fixed.
-----
6:08am, Sunday 27 Mar 2016
Question closed automatically after 14 days of inactivity.

Fair enough.
-----

Service Notice #275105777
12:46am, Wednesday 15 Jun 2016
Bandwidth usage reset skipped

Why would it be skipped?

-----

Question #146234806 - Your Feedback
5:25pm, Friday 17 Mar 2017

As discussed in our conversation we need you to run some tests to rule out charges if the problem is caused by internal wiring or equipment.

Please plug your router into the test socket with no other devices connected. Please also check and confirm that there is no damage to any of your equipment or wiring. Please leave your router in this set up for a minimum of 3 days. Please also try an alternative router and/or microfilter if you have them.

Once you have completed all of the above checks, if the issue persists please reply to this message online or reply to the text we have sent to you.

Please note if an engineer visits your premises and the fault is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment a charge of £65 will apply.

They hit a bit of a snag with this, hence me getting involved for the reasons further down
-----

Question #146280065 - Your Feedback
1:06pm, Saturday 18 Mar 2017
[INTERNAL]

Noisy

ODCs complete

I have read the engineer charging statement to Valerie Blyth and they have agreed to the possibility of the engineer charge. The customer understands that the possibility of the engineer charge extends to the full duration of this fault investigation.

Availability - Any Morning

please text confirmation of appointment

I was not aware of the previous (146234806) call/ticket so having popped over to their house earlier, I put a corded phone via a microfilter direct into the test point on the correct master socket, which gave a pulsating humming sound but no hissing or crackling
-----

However, as this noise (humming) was witnessed by the call handler, hopefully this should be sorted out. Crackling sounds have been witnessed for 'years' on and off by the M-i-L, but I was not aware of this until today.

So having found 2 master sockets - the house used to be a Police House/Station and thus would probably had a residential line and a business line - it does look like BT have tweaked what was there to make the circuits work via one line....?

But as per this basic layout drawing, the internal wiring looks like it'll need some tlc once the external fault has been found and fixed...

inlaws.JPG

A is the main incoming drop wire

1 is the master socket, in the front spare bedroom that nobody uses now. No phone or router used there either. I'm thinking of trying to persuade the engineer to wire straight to 5, then I can go from 5 to 2.

B is the old style single core shot gun cable (looks like speaker wires)

C is one of those cheap and nasty prewired extension cables into the main bedroom

2 is the other end of the cheap and nasty extensions (not wall mounted, just a flying lead). A phone is used here.

3 is a GPO box by the front door

D is BT quality phone wiring

4 is the other master socket, but no phones are ever in this socket, nor is the router - so I'll probably remove this

E is another cheap and nasty extension kit

5 is where the main phone and router sits.

So after the external fault is found and fixed, I'll probably have to go and update the internal wiring. So has anybody used Cat5e/Cat6 instead of decent phone cabling, if so, was it worth the extra outlay of cash?

1 REPLY 1
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Ongoing fault since 2015?

Fix

OR attended the property yesterday am and:

Found a line fault 0.5 mile away - in his opinion the pushdown tool had not been used correctly and was causing the loose connection to arc.

He corrected that (apparently) and then I managed to attend the property. I asked him if he'd tested the M-i-Ls home phones in the test point on the master socket (1) to which he said no as there is also a fault inside the property - he stated it was probably the routerHuh

Although he never looked at the router itself or tested any phones he said the connection was now fine and left.

I then checked the router and the internet light was off, so went out to him sat in his van and told him - he said he was on the phone closing it down now, hence no internet.

Gave him the benefit of the doubt and after he went, the internet light was then intermittent and either phone gave the original audible hum!!Huh

I call PN and she can hear it too - I asked her to listen to the sound when the router is plugged in and unplugged and she too can hear the difference.

Routers internet light was witnessed to go green even though it wasn't plugged in to test point and eventually we tested the phone direct (no filter) in to the test point and the noise was still there as it was before OR attended the property.

PN have (so she said) rejected the fault being cleared and another engineer is booked.

I was also genuinely shocked to be told by OR to get the cheapest possible pre wired extension cables from Argos and rewire the house with these.

I've answered my own question regarding using cat5e/cat6 instead of decent quality phone cabling so will mark this as solved.

The M-i-L is sick and tired of PN so doubt she'll recontract with yourselves when her contract expires - don't shoot the messenger, just passing on her comment.