Did you mean: 

Continuous credit card authority

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mystery
I moved to plusnet from pipex.
Unfortunately since my migration, pipex have continued to take my money even though I'm not receiving a service from them.
   We had this same problem with Tiscali when we left them as they continued sending threatening letters for payment for months after we had left them.

I've seen several people advise changing to Direct Debit before leaving as you have more control.
BUT whatever you do don't use a Debit Card number for a regular payment as that comes straight out of your bank account and you can't stop it.
12 REPLIES 12
nadger
Rising Star

The best advice is to pay by DD but as "mystery" has been paying by continuous authority against his credit card his only recourse is though his card company.
One thing that is advisable is to notify Pipex immediately on migration as they keep claiming customers are still with them.
I don't know whether PlusNet could assist by providing "mystery" with proof of when migration to them actually took place. He could then use this as proof, to card company, that Pipex are taking money they aren't entitled to.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Would cancelling the credit card work?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Nope as the CC issuers will still honour the payments even for cancelled cards.
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Nope as the CC issuers will still honour the payments even for cancelled cards.

That's not what I was told by Barclays. I tried for many months to set up a DD with Pipex but never succeeded as they repeatedly failed to do the paperwork. Eventually, as it was getting too time consuming, I gave up, preferring to incur the £1 monthly charge, and paid by debit card for many years. I changed debit cards as soon as I migrated to PlusNet two weeks ago. Barclays told me that I would have to let any company know my new card number or payments would fail (which is, of course, what I wanted). Maybe there is a difference between debit card payments and credit card payments...  Huh
James
Grafter

It depends on who Pipex use to process their card transactions.
I believe that our payment processing company doesn't use continuous authority, which means that we're unable to process payment on expired cards, although we were able to do so on some card types prior to changing payment suppliers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Jameseh
I believe that our payment processing company doesn't use continuous authority, which means that we're unable to process payment on expired cards, although we were able to do so on some card types prior to changing payment suppliers.
James,
Can you check with your accounts department, or however else, and confirm or otherwise this statement as it is quite important
James
Grafter

I'm sure that violates the Direct Debit guarantee.
Not applicable

Its possible to collect money from expired/cancelled credit cards if you have given Continuous Payment Authority [CPA], and only the person you gave the authority to can cancel the agreement.
However, many companies either don't use CPA's to get the money, they instead process a new one-off transaction each time.
Also, many companies still honour the expiry date, and don't request payments after the expiry of a card, even though they technically could.
It will depend on the policy of each company individually.
James
Grafter

OldJim,
I'll try to chase this up tomorrow if you wouldn't mind giving me a poke.
James
Grafter

Hi Jim,
I've just been chatting with Finance regarding this.
We'll use Continuous Authority on all card types, credit or debit card.  However, Continuous Authority is controlled by the indiviuals bank, rather than our payment system.
greyposter
Grafter

In that case I would change my bank.I know it's a challenge but worth it.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Continuous credit card authority

Many people (including some posters above) continue to confuse Continuous Payment Authority on a credit card with a Direct Debit. They are not the same. CPA is not covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee and the payer is not in control. This crops up regularly on consumer programmes.
This article is several years old but I don't think that anything has changed.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/2099270.stm