cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset: Thompson TG585 v8 and Factory Settings

ashnewbie
Dabbler

Reset: Thompson TG585 v8 and Factory Settings

I have reset my Thompson TG585 v8 back to Factory Settings, does anyone know what the default
Router username
and
Router password
are?
I have tried "admin" (admin) and "serial number" (password), but that does not work and "Administrator" and "blank" and a whole host of other combinations but nothing works...
I did the reset because I could not get the supplied, out of the box router username or password to work and the leaflet supplied does not explain what the factory set username or password becomes at reset...
3 REPLIES 3
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Reset: Thompson TG585 v8 and Factory Settings

Hi ashnewbie,
Welcome to Plusnet and the forums. The router username is definitely admin and I will private message you the router serial number off your account. If it's the first time you are connecting your account just make sure it's the router username and password that it's asking for, as our system can recognise your router and ask you for your account username and password.
Jojo Smiley
ashnewbie
Dabbler

Quote from: Joanne
Hi ashnewbie,
Welcome to Plusnet and the forums. The router username is definitely admin and I will private message you the router serial number off your account. If it's the first time you are connecting your account just make sure it's the router username and password that it's asking for, as our system can recognise your router and ask you for your account username and password.
Jojo Smiley

Does this mean I cannot use my own router?
I am seeking to remove all the default router password and username via http://192.168.1.254/ and to set my own advanced router settings, it is well reported that using the default factory settings of a router is a security risk, as is retaining use of the default SSID "*********************".
From a technical security point of view does plus.net's recognition of a supplied Thompson router mean it can be remotely reset by plus.net and configuration can be remotely altered by plus.net?
dick:green Personal data removed from a public forum.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Joanne
our system can recognise your router and ask you for your account username and password.

By this I mean if you plug a router in that we send you our system will recognise which account it belongs to and offer you the option to input your broadband username and password rather than have to go into the router to set it up. It's called a walled garden or easy set-up.
Quote from: ashnewbie
Does this mean I cannot use my own router?

Do you mean the router we sent you or one you acquired yourself?
it is well reported that using the default factory settings of a router is a security risk, as is retaining use of the default SSID "PlusnetwirelessCD7CAC".

Considering you need a unique username and password to access the router, a unique wireless encryption key to connect to the router and it has a unique SSID I'd say it has very negligible security risks
From a technical security point of view does plus.net's recognition of a supplied Thompson router mean it can be remotely reset by plus.net and configuration can be remotely altered by plus.net?

We can access you router if necessary, to perform firmware upgrades for instance. We won't reset your router though. Changes in your IP profile can cause a reboot of the router but this will happen regardless of which make of router you use.
Jojo Smiley