cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless routers

bigtim
Grafter

wireless routers

got a wired router at min not very old but want to go wireless.
So my question is,what it the best buy wireless one i can get for not a lot of money or do i buy a wireless access point for what ive got.
Guy in my local pc shop wants to sell me a no name wap for £30 and a dongle for £15 to go with my addon modem/router i already have,but is there owt better for a bit more money.
Dont know what is good or bad.
11 REPLIES
Nick_Russell
Grafter

wireless routers

I would stop messing around and get a Netgear router. Very easy to set up and widely used.

...about £50-£60 from many retailers.
Community Veteran

wireless routers

Agreed.
The Netgear wireless router is quite a nice peice of kit.
Very easy to setup as said above and full of features that many of the cheepo's don't have.
bigtim
Grafter

wireless routers

Thanks guys Cheesy
will i be fine with a 54mp one and also will it be ok using the ones with usb dongles rather than the pci card type thing as i use the ps2 online if that matters.
Community Veteran

wireless routers

I use a 54 meg one and it's fine. You should find they are a bit cheaper than the later 108meg ones too.

Yep a USB dongle as the radio card will work fine as the PC to router link.
Liam
Grafter

wireless routers

I love my DG834G. And it looks pwetty too!
Community Veteran

wireless routers

Especialy in the dark when the whole case is iluminated from all the green LED's winking away inside it Cheesy
N/A

wireless routers

Have you seen the Rangemax ones? They have a load of directional antennae (6 I think) with corresponding blue LED's arranged in a circle on the side - each of these blinks in the way that the single antennae WiFi 'action' light does, but only the ones that correspond to the antennae being used for your connection.

Pretty cool if you use mobile devices to connect using WiFi as you see the lights following you around the room.
N/A

wireless routers

I have just had the biggest headache known to man since buying my first Netgear DG834G about 2 months ago.

That kept dropping the internet connection. Netgear gave the standard issue answer of "it's inteference" - so I went and bought a DG834PN with multiple antenna, MIMO, funky blue LED's as mentioned above, etc which allegedly overcomes inteference issues (not that I believe there are any, as the old wireless router would have been falling over all over the place as well if there were).

That has not held a steady connection either. Longest period it did was about 2 days, and that was only when I turned the PC on when I got home from work of an evening.

I've since exchanged it for a Linksys WAG54GS, so will see how that gets on.

Before the Netgear saga, I had a cheapy Origo 11Mbps one that I bought off a mate for a tenner. That work faultlessly and had far better coverage than the £100 DG834PN! I only changed it because I wanted to add a NAS drive and needed a router with switching ports.

Netgear's support forum makes interesting reading. Lol!

I'm sure some people have no problems with them at all - a mate of mine recommended the DG834G to me, as he's had one and it's been perfect - however, there seems to be an equal if not larger number of people that have had nothing but grief.
Community Veteran

wireless routers

I used to have a GT which started acting very strangely. Got it swapped for a G and have had no problems since.

My aunt has a PN and every evening while I was up there recently I couldn't connect to the network until about 9pm she's had it swapped so hopefully the new one will behave better :/
N/A

wireless routers

I had a GT too, and after around 18mths, it gave up the ghost (appeared fine - still does if I dig it out, but it can't seem to manage a throughput of above ~120k.)

IIRC there was talk at the time of some dodgy chips in some models.

FWIW I heard of quite a few folks who spoke with Netgear and ended up with free replacements. (In honesty I was too lazy to try it, and just bought a new one.)
Community Veteran

wireless routers

James you do know that netgear stuff has a two year warranty?