cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless router and modem setup

N/A

I'm using a linksys am200 modem and purcheased a newlink wireless router cheaply from maplin but am having troubles connecting to the internet through my router. The internet works fine with the modem only.
The router is currently set in pppoe mode with the modem running in bridged mode only.
The modem is assigned the ip 192.168.1.1 and the router 192.168.1.2 and the router has dhcp enabled to assign other addresses on the network.
I have heard that a similar setup works on plusnet and would really apprectiate some help.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I may be wrong here, but if the modem is connected to the WAN port of the router, and the phone line, shouldnt it have the Ip address given by PlusNet, and not one on the local network. It seems the router cannot find the external IP address. As I say I may be wrong, but its something to check. I am not really familiar with these setups, prefer integrated Modem/Routers, as they do away with these issues!
N/A

I tried for several days to get bridge mode to work without success, because the UK use pppoa and not pppoe. In the end I used the DMZ option on the modem, which you have to specified the IP address, which will be the IP address of the router. Make sure that the IP selected is not in the range of the modem's DHCP. The router then have to be configured to use static address for the WAN IP, which will be the same as specified in the DMZ option.