cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless audio - being a muppet!

N/A

This is just a quickie - hopefully someeone will have and idea for me...

I currently have a usb modem with plusnet - i now want to stream audio from my desktop PC to my home theatre setup in the lounge... in addition i have a work lappy that has wireless and am getting bored of the old crossover cable routine...

What do i need to get this sorted... Was thinking of an airport express plugin thingy so i can stream itunes...

What other wireless hardware do i need?

If i have to go the whole hog then what wireless/routre/modem combo does anyone reccomend and can this still stream itunes if the desktop is hardwired to the router (ethernet?)

Cheers - Chris
6 REPLIES
N/A

and prices...

if you suggest any hardware i would appreciate reccomendations of places to pick it up for a decent price... Cheers

Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

If you go for a wireless ADSL Modem Router, and then a Wireless Media player, you can plug this in as an audio seperate in your home theatre system and stream from your PC.

I recommend the Netgear DG834G or the newer DG845GT. They also do a Wireless Media Player which looks quite nice. I forget the model number. Do a search on www.ebuyer.com.
N/A

I think i would prefer not to have one of the seperate units for streaming and use my PC itself - more control etc... as my pc is quite close but just very inconvenient to run cables as i have to cross a hallway.

The full setups with remotes as a seperate for the hi-fi doesnt seem to appeal.

Any other suggestions?

Defo considering a router and probably netgear of linksys according to reviews i have seen already...
LiamM
Grafter

Well what you want then is just wireless speakers then? There's no other way to stream audio without cables.
N/A

I think the Airport Express is a good choice. You can get them brand new (sealed) on ebay for a less than most places.
N/A

I am not 100% certain on your setup and what you want to acheive out of it all.

The Airport Express is an excelent tool, but is of no use if you want to network Wireless and Wired portions of your network, for file/printer sharing.

I currently have to use all sort of hacks to be able to file share from my wireless portion to the wired.