cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi pci card can't get good signal

docrobster
Grafter

I have recently shelled out on some wireless kit in a (perhaps vain) attempt to be rid of wires trailing around the house. I got all netgear stuff- a DG834G and WG111 usb adapter initially and then a WG3111 pci card.
The master socket is in the next room to where the main pc is- less than 4 metres away, with one brick wall between them. I have an older pc in the basement which will only be used intermittently by the kids, but obviously I would like the whole lot to have a pretty reliable connection, and ideally would like the router pugged directly into the master socket.
If I use the usb adapter and have it on the desk somewhere above the main pc, I get a reasonable signal, but I don't like the idea of using usb when I could use something neater, so I tried the pci card. Unfortunately as the PC "faces" towards the router, the aerial of the card is hidden behind the computer and the best signal it picks up is "low" sometimes "very low" and the whole thing fails.
I have therefore had to resort to wiring the router up next to the main pc and connecting via the wired ethernet card, which is no neater than than old usb modem.
Is this normal that pci cards can't pick up a signal if the pc is between them and the router?
If so what I would like to know is if it is possible to attach an extension to the pci card's aerial to allow it to be mounted above the desk to pick up a better signal.
thanks for any advice
Rob farmer
2 REPLIES
N/A

USRobotics sell higher-gain aerials on extension leads that go into the PC rather than the router. I assume Netgear would offer the same kind of thing. It's also possible to get repeater units, but apparently they can't transmit and receive at the same time, so won't be quite as fast as you might expect, and are quite expensive.

You might look out a book on the subject:

Title: Easy PC wi-fi networking
Author(s): Penfold,R. A.
Paperback ISBN: 0859345491 (ISBN13: 9780859345491)
Price: £7.99 (01 Feb 06)
Publisher: Bernard Babani
Series: Babani computer books : BP549
Publication Date: 29 Sep 04

He even shows a photo of a small WiFi aerial buried in the tangle of wires at the back of a PC, saying this will cause problems...
docrobster
Grafter

thanks for the reply. sounds like this is a non starter- I will probably try to get my money back for the pci card- seems like one of those designs that are destined to fail!