cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi access points

N/A

wifi access points

Surely wifi access is not dependent on commercial agreements between PlusNet and wifi vendors such as BT OpenZone.

Is it possible for anyone with a wireless router (and broadband connection) to turn their immediate locality into a wifi hotspot so that roaming users can connect? (http://www.wififreenet.com/free.html).

In which case, as was touted in a previous topic, PlusNet users could open up a sizeable 'roaming' network. :?
3 REPLIES
N/A

wifi access points

But surely the idea of this product, is to aloow access to an established network of hotspots?

Beyond which, I believe such a project is against the contract of the PlusNet products. In which you are not allowed to resell service.
N/A

wifi access points

I'm not disputing the benefits of BT OpenZone or the benefits of any commercial arrangements between BT OpenZone, PlusNet and other ISPs.

A previous thread (Roaming) raised the question re PlusNet users providing such a network.

I'm also not proposing that the point provider charge for the service. So the question of reselling doesn't come into it.

The only benefit I might expect - apart from, perhaps, a large and free network on which to roam - is payback on referrals to the PlusNet network, if PlusNet are able to derive any benefit / charging model from such a service. (possibly as defined on the previous link).
N/A

wifi access points

providing free access to a WiFi network in such a way, produces a second clause to block the path.

No services are supposed to be provided on your connection, unless some form of ACL is in place.