cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very silly question

anotherbob
Grafter

very silly question

Done all the tricky stuff...... installed Netgear DG834Gv2...... persuaded new laptop to find the network..... all seems OK. Now the silly question; There's no on/off switch on the Netgear, do I just pull the power lead out of the back every night or what?
12 REPLIES
Nick_Russell
Grafter

very silly question

There is no off/on switch. Leave the router on all the time - no need to turn it off.
N/A

very silly question

Yeh! just leave it on all night, every night for ever, Gives the hackers time to crack your WEP key!

Personally I'd unplug it, to be on the safe side, You can never be too safe, where wireless networks are concerned!
anotherbob
Grafter

very silly question

Thanks for your responses. I'm inclined to unplug a) for security, and b) to save electricity. I recall hearing how the planet might last a bit longer if TVs had no STANDBY lights.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

very silly question

Yeh! just leave it on all night, every night for ever, Gives the hackers time to crack your WEP key!

Complete paranoia. If you're that concerned activate Windows firewall and get a software firewall in addition to Netgear's built in firewall. I would think you will find very few people who would seriously suggest you should turn off a router every night.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

very silly question

Thanks for your responses. I'm inclined to unplug a) for security, and b) to save electricity. I recall hearing how the planet might last a bit longer if TVs had no STANDBY lights.

To save electricity Huh?? Presumabely you also always turn off your TVs (not just stanby), DVDs, video, microwaves, fridge, freezer , central heating, clocks etc etc. Come on, just how much electricity do you thing a router will use?
Community Veteran

very silly question

That is what the MAC Address filter is for on wireless hardware!
Yogi
Dabbler

very silly question

I don't know how much electricity a router uses, but mine gets bl**dy hot and I'd prefer to heat the house using more efficient radiators!
anotherbob
Grafter

very silly question

To save electricity Huh?? Presumabely you also always turn off your TVs (not just stanby), DVDs, video, microwaves, fridge, freezer , central heating, clocks etc etc. Come on, just how much electricity do you thing a router will use?

I doubt if I could save the Planet on my own...... but it eases my conscience somewhat if I feel I'm doing my bit. (I don't turn off my fridge or freezer, that would be silly)
N/A

very silly question

It is true the router will use a small amount of electricity if left on overnight. However, the greatest strain is put on electronic components at switch on, thus the daily turning on and off of the router could shorten its life resulting in haveing to purchase a new one. the saveings in electricity would probably be negated by the resourses used to build a new router and replace it.
Community Veteran

very silly question

I keep my router switched on all the time. Don't think we can save the planet by switching them off. Maybe the yanks could though. 6 coal burning power stations for las vegas alone and that only covers 50% of the electricity the city uses! The other half has to be bought in from the North American Grid!
N/A

very silly question

OR the lack of permanently turning on/off the netgear so that it doesn't suffer early life failure and require disposal, might just help the planet that bit more than using up a tiny bit of energy keeping it permanently on Wink

And for the quote about security - it's totally safe to leave it on. Just make sure you're using WPA and not WEP.
holdtight
Grafter

very silly question

Its not a silly question and whether you leave it on or turn it off i think just comes down to personal preference in most cases

I leave mine on 24/7 others prefer to turn them off, i would say leave it on it certainly wont do it or your electricity bill any harm

As stated above make sure you have wpa/wpa-psk security enabled and also use mac address filtering and also a software firewall such as the likes of zonealarm etc and it will be more than safe to leave it running for as long as you like

Bill.