cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using an ethernet cable with wireless

N/A

I've been using my bt voyager wireless router etc and pc wireless card for months. We have a 1060 card that goes into the laptop. I have a second laptop (which is only windows 9Cool that the wireless card works fine with, but I thought I'd try and connect it via the ethernet cable (which came with the wireless desktop adapter) into the router but it doesn't seem to recognise it.

Does anyone know if I have to load on different driver software it being an ethernet connection. Usually my wireless connection automatically starts when I switch the laptop on, and so I don't have a dial-up to click on to. Any ideas?
Tks
2 REPLIES
N/A

You dont need any software to connect but your network card drivers need to be installed. The network connection also need to get the ip address from a dhcp server(the router).
If you have the wireless card installed as well it will get confused with which connection to go to.

Remove or disable the wirelles card make sure the ethernet network card is installed and can bee seen ok. Check the properties aree set to get an IP from the server. Then try again if it doesnt connect open a cmd window and type ipconfig /all you should get a network address and if you try the same command on the other laptop it should be nearly the same number only the last number should change.(if its windows 98 its winipcfg). If you dont get an ip try ipconfig /renew then ipconfig /all and see if its changed. If this isnt working you can type in the ip and subnet manually. copy everything from the other laptops ipconfig /all but add 3 onto the last number.

So if the other laptop has an ip of 10.0.0.1 add 3 which gives you 10.0.0.4
N/A

Many thanks, will give that a go, it didn't register with my grey matter that the wireless connection would confuse the ethernet, but now you say that, of course I see that it would.
Tks again
Maria Cheesy