cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pci ethernet adapters

curati
Grafter

pci ethernet adapters

i have a sis 900-PCI based fast ethernet adapter. Will this work in conjunction with a netgear wireless router to provide me with a wireless network?

thanks

pete
3 REPLIES
N/A

pci ethernet adapters

I dont believe that is a wireless card. You can connect to your wireless router by cat5 cable from that card.

To work well with your netgear router you would need one of these
curati
Grafter

pci ethernet adapters

oh right, i wasn't sure what the card was for really. What does ethernet mean then? I presumed it was some alternative term for wireless network.
LiamM
Grafter

pci ethernet adapters

Ethernet means a wired network in short. Some people are branding Wireless Networking as Wireless Ethernet, but in reality, thats not technically true.

An Ethernet card will allow you to plug RJ45 cabling in to create a network, either with a router, or directly to another computer (using a Patch Cable).

If you're after a Wireless setup, I recommend investing in a Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (I have a NETGEAR one - DG834G - recommended!). You also need a Wireless Interface on each of your workstations. So for laptops, either a PCMCIA Card, Mini-PCI Card or USB Dongle (whichever you can support), and for Desktops, a PCI Card or USB Dongle.

I hope this helps you somewhat. Apologies if it's a bit too technical. Let me know and I will try to explain better!