cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nother newbie, going grey quickly!! advice please..

N/A

hi. have just bought a wireless enabled laptop (centrino) for my lad and am after some advice as to the right equipment required. been looking at the USRobotics MaxG jobbie in plusnet shop (like it cos it has a print server too)but not sure if i need to buy a MaxG card for the laptop. if not, would that be all bells and whistles at one end but not the other so a waste of money. the signal needs to pass thru a double skinned wall and internal partition walls if that makes much diference.
i like the idea of a print server but i guess sending the files to the home pc which will be "wired"and printing from there would work just as well (would be nice to get my computer back though!!)
your advice would be much appreciated, i don't want to spend £100 on one only to find one half that price would do!!

thanks in advance

karl
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: nother newbie, going grey quickly!! advice please..

been looking at the USRobotics MaxG jobbie in plusnet shop (like it cos it has a print server too)but not sure if i need to buy a MaxG card for the laptop. if not, would that be all bells and whistles at one end but not the other so a waste of money. the signal needs to pass thru a double skinned wall and internal partition walls if that makes much diference.

As you may see in another post, I have both, and have yet to get them working, I think because of not yet having the computer's network settings correct, rather than anything to do with the USR gear as such. However, the MAXg card can see the router and talk to it, and I get poor signal strength if you believe the bar graph in the MAXg card's software. That's from the front room to the living room, with a stairwell including two internal walls (but solid ones) between, only about four metres in a straight line. More modern houses with "softer" plasterboard walls might be easier, and I'd probably do better upstairs through wooden floors/ceilings. I haven't decided what to do about signal strength yet - better get a wired connection going first... :?

The Consumer Association's Which? magazine for January 2006 has an article on home networks where they recommend sticking to the same brand for router and adaptor, though that seems to refer more to USB adaptors than to PC cards. You might be able to consult Which? in your local library. While you're there, look for a book called "Easy PC WiFi Networking" by R.A. Penfold, published by Bernard Babani, 2004. This has general background stuff about WiFi without going into too much detail about specific brands.

Computer Shopper magazine currently recommends the USR for most people, and the Buffalo High-Power for more range. Which? didn't like the Buffalo as much; their top-of-the-heap (from a small field, not including the USR) was the Linksys SRX.
N/A

thanks for the reply. i'm assuming i won't need an adaptor as the laptop is already wifi enabled. or, are you referring to the adaptor already fitted to the laptop and work backwards from there. so many questions, so little knowledge!!
thanks again

karl
N/A

The obvious thing is to just try the router with your laptop's built-in abilities, and see how you get on. To get the most out of the whole system, I think you need your laptop to be 802.11g compliant, but (a) I imagine most are now, and (b) I'm out of my depth here anyway Wink If you don't get enough signal you'll have to think again - this is the position I'm likely to be in, and I'm not sure of the right way to go yet.