cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help!

N/A

help!

I'm currently trying to set up a wireless router (netgear DG834GT). I have set it up to the point when all the right lights are flashing etc...but when i need to configure the router via my web browser it just says that i need to connect to the internet to view the page. Obviously this isn't possible as i have configured the router yet!?.

Not sure what to do, I'm a novice so sorry if i am missing the blindingly obvious?!!! help.
8 REPLIES
N/A

help!

IE thinks you need to dial up to connect to the net so is asking you to do it. It doesnt know you have a router.

In IE tools/internet options/connections then click never dial a connection that should do it
N/A

help!

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I did try that, but then it just hung when I tried to connect to the router?...grrrrr
holdtight
Grafter

help!

Although it is possible to set up your router settings via the wireless interface i know i always do it is recommended and should say this in the user manual that you first set up using an ethernet cable from your router to pc

Once done your can unplug the cable which should have been provided in the box and be ready to go via wireless, might be worth a try as your next step as it will guarantee you a connection between router and system
N/A

help!

Thanks, I have set it up with the ethernet cable and it still won't connect! arrgghhhhhhhhh
holdtight
Grafter

help!

mmmm have you tried a full factory reset then starting again using the cable ?

Make sure the router is seeing the pc`s network and wireless card, what do you get if you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all

Should be along the same lines as this including details of your pc`s network card (mines disabled) paste the results here so we can have a look

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hostpc
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-G PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-72-7B-56-E7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.6.9
N/A

help!

ok will try that....thanks. Can't beleive it doesn't work!!
N/A

help!

Tried the command prompt and all seemed fine...eventually through trial and error I unchecked something in the LAN connection settings about a proxy server and all worked fine!!...I am currently wireless!!!! woo - hoo x box 360 here i come.

All I need to do now is work out how you set up the security etc.
N/A

help!

I connected the same router and went wireless in a few seconds!
Just plugged it in and sat back. The machine asked me a couple of questions, clicked the answers and there we were!

Eddie

By the way, I'm using a mac.