cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with wireless conectivity

N/A

i have had an smc wireless router installed for nearly a year now, everything has been running fine but recently the computer is not picking up the wireless four about 10 minutes. no settings in the router have been changed and the laptops and pda i have all contect to it fine without any delay. can anybody help me with this please?
4 REPLIES
N/A

We need to define the not connecting bit. Does it get an ip via dhcp if so on startup keep doing ipconfig /all and see if it get an ip at startup. If its a fixed ip try pinging another pc or the router.
Goto http://www.sysinternals.com/NetworkingUtilities.html and get their tcip monitor and run that at startup to see what is happening.

It most likely that it does connect staright away but then it is searching for something like a network printer or network share which floods its connection so it appears not to connect.
It could be a virus etc and its sending some data etc at startup this would show up with the tcip view.
Look for any network printer connection like a document not printed or any P2P ftp connection.

If it doesnt get a ip at startup then its between the router and pc that theres a problem.

If it has a fixed ip it may be worth seting it to get it from the dhcp so you can see when the problem starts
N/A

thanks for the help i'll try your suggestions tonight when i get home. as far as i can gather it is not even getting an ip to begin with, the icon in the corner just says no wireless networks available. all of my ip's are assigned by dhcp.
N/A

I fit doesnt get an ip try netstumbler from
http://www.netstumbler.com/

and see if there is anyone on the same channel that it may be trying to connect to first. Secondly are you using WEP as often the key seems to give problems as it trys to connect without a key for ages then it suddenly send the key. This is normally the makers software that does that
N/A

thanks alot for the help, i dont use wep keys to secure my network i use other methods. the problem however seems to have sorted itself after i tried your other suggestions. thanks again for the help