cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firewall and netgear router

owlguard
Grafter

Hi again everyone,another question about routers.Im on xp pro+sp2,am i ok turning off my windows firewall,its says on the netgear box ive got a product that is doubled firewalled,so i take it i can turn off my windows firewall and in my last question,i asked about the internet connection dropping,maybe if ive got 2 firewalls going at the same time,that may have been the problem.Is the firewalls on the router automatically on by default or do i have to set them up.??regards ray.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Before I answer your questions, may I make a suggestion... Try to separate your questions into separate paragraphs rather than all in one as it is then much easier to read.

OK, now the answers...

The router firewall is normally on by default. In fact, it's very difficult to actually turn off!

Both the router firewall and windows firewall can be run at the same time and for full security they should both be running (see below).

Having both firewalls running will not be the cause of your dropped connections. You need to check your router stats and log for information that may tell you why the connection is dropping.

The router firewall will only block unsolicited incoming traffic and will allow any outgoing traffic. The Windows firewall will block outgoing and incoming traffic, but it is the outgoing blocking that is important. So it is better to have both a router hardware firewall and software firewall running on windows to protect your PC and connection.

What I recommend is you download the free ZoneAlarm firewall (www.zonealarm.com) which replaces the windows firewall and does a much better job.
owlguard
Grafter

Hello Peter,sorry about the paragraphs mixup.Thankyou very much for your information,i will try the things you mentioned,thanks again and up the owls.
regards ray.