cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does plusnet charge extra

N/A

To set up a wireless conection enabling 2 pc's to access the internet at the same time?? I went into pc world today to buy the equipment and they said they could not sell me the hardware untill I cheked out whether my service provider will allow more than one pc to be connected to the internet at one time.. They said that AOL definately charges an extra fee and maybee plus.net also charges extra to set up a 2 wireless system, How on earth can they tell?? also could I just split my phone line and buy another modem to run my other computer as well as my existing one, wouldnt that be cheaper than wireless?? Thanks all
11 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

You can use Wireless equipment with no problem at all.

I, personally, wouldn't buy it from PC World though. You can save yourself a fair amount by shopping around online. I get most of my gear from www.ebuyer.com
N/A

hi again Neve,

Plus Net do not charge anything extra for networking your PC's. your network can be as large or as small as you need.

You might be better off buying your gear on-line. you may be able to take advantage of some attractive packages.
N/A

Thank you very much, sorry I have alot of questions lately but last time I was into PC's in a big way was about 3 years ago at that time I pretty much knew everything I needed to know, I have just bought a new pc and things have changed big time, the last I remember was being the bees knees with my latest P4 2 gig with AGP ti 4600graphics and CD-RW LOL. thanks all apreciate the fast info..
N/A

PC Worlds statement pretty much shows where you shouldn't be buying.

They are correct about AOL, but this is the only provider blocking such devices, which doesn't even mean you can't use them, just that they are unsupported.

As with almost all providers, Plusnet do allow them, however, they can't provide support for the equipment, should it not work.
N/A

also could I just split my phone line and buy another modem to run my other computer as well as my existing one, wouldnt that be cheaper than wireless??

No, unfortunately it is not possible to split the line in this way, the broadband connection is only capable of terminating at one point within your home.
From this point you can then split the connection in a number of ways;
You could cable the two machines together using a crossover cable (and a network card in each machine), and set up a p2p network to share the web connection from the first machine - one downside being the first machine must be on to get web access on the second.
The above can also be achieved using a router to create a network between the two machines (either wired or wirelessly)
The other option involves buying a router with built in ADSL modem, this can maintain the web connection withou the need for either machine to be switched on, the benefit being either machine can access the web independantly of the other. The router can be either wired or wireless.

The best way is using a router with built in ADSL modem, and connecting via cable, but wireless is a close second for reliability with the obvious advantage of no cablesSmiley

The good news is that whichever you choose, you will find a wealth of knowledgeable people here on the forums, which can help you get the best from your set-up - just ask Cheesy
N/A

I'm thinking of setting up a wireless network in my house and saw this topic.

According to the PlusNet's Wireless Broadband guide, they will charge you according to the minutes you spend time online. I get confused.

Could anyone help explain the difference?

My sincere thanks,
N/A

It would appear you have your wires corssed.

The Wireless broadband PlusNet supply, if designed to allow you to roam and use various wireless hotspots around the country.

This does not affect your own personal wireless network in any way.
N/A

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

So does it mean that for my HOME networking, I would only need to buy a modem router (Belkin or Netgear), a PCI card for my laptop. And that's done?
iPaqowner
Grafter

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

So does it mean that for my HOME networking, I would only need to buy a modem router (Belkin or Netgear), a PCI card for my laptop. And that's done?

Correct.
N/A

If you elect to "collect in store" at PC world you can sometimes pick up stuff quite cheap - for example, the rather excellent dg834g V2 can be collected for £66, whereas the same thing costs £65 + delivery on Ebuyer
N/A

PC World introduced the "NETGEAR WPN824" as the latest (?), coolest wireless modem at the moment. Do I really need to buy this latest product, or will something cheaper will do the same job for me?