cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dg824m please stop the madness

N/A

any chance some of you can confirm the settings i need for the netgear dg824m i've inherited?

i'm on the 2meg premier service but i cant get it to connect, the built in wizard wants to set it to a static IP , but im fairly sure that plus net say to use DHCP even though i have a static IP .

i've tried leaving it over night as i found that mentioned in another post, but still no joy (oh and im on the latest 1.4.05 firm ware.)

any other advice before i tear whats left of my hair out?

i wouldnt mind if it just wasnt going to work, but plenty of people on the forums seem to have it running

[hint type="subtle"]
in an ideal world some kind soul would do a settings back up from theirs and mail it over to me so i can install that .. (iamdecal@gmail.com) .. but id settle for a link to a screen grab or just a list of the settings
[/hint]

cheers
D
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What plusnet product are you on?

All product except broadband plus have static IPs. In anycase you just need to set the router to get it's IP and DNS settings automatically from the server.

Does it have a setup wizzard like other netgear routers I have used. If so let it set everything for you and just enter your PlusNet login & pass and you should be up and running.

If no setup wizzard, the settings are:

Encapsulation: PPPOA
Multiplex method: VC BASED
VPI 0
VCI 38
IP get dynamically
DNS get automatically

DHCP is to allocate IPs to your local network not to connect with PlusNet.
N/A

Hi iamdecal,

The set up wizard in the 824 should set up everything you need automatically.

If you have inherited the router from someone else, reset the router via the small round "hole" at the back. You can use a pen or other small object to access the reset button.

When you reboot the router, log in and run the wizard.

If you need any further info see this guide.

If youre still having trouble, post back.
N/A

Cheers Guys, heres a little more info to confirm where im at

>>The set up wizard in the 824 should set up everything you need automatically.
yup thats what i thought ;-(

>>If you have inherited the router from someone else, reset the router via the >>small round "hole" at the back. You can use a pen or other small object to >>access the reset button.

yeap done

>>When you reboot the router, log in and run the wizard.

done

>>What plusnet product are you on?
2meg premier

>>All product except broadband plus have static IPs. In anycase you just need >>to set the router to get it's IP and DNS settings automatically from the server.

>>Does it have a setup wizzard like other netgear routers I have used. If so let it >>set everything for you and just enter your PlusNet login & pass and you >>should be up and running.

yeah - i think thats whats causing the problem though - the wizard detects the static IP so it wont let me use DHCP to get the details. i.e on the status page- it has DHCP set to none. the other option it allows is client but it wont let me set that (presumably due to the static IP )

im not at my machine right now , but i'll post a screen shot later

>>If no setup wizzard, the settings are:
>>Encapsulation: PPPOA
>>Multiplex method: VC BASED
>>VPI 0
>>VCI 38
>>IP get dynamically
>>DNS get automatically

I'll double check when i get home, but im almost sure thats what i have

DHCP is to allocate IPs to your local network not to connect with PlusNet.
i have different settings for DHCP on the router for the LAN and the WAN, (the LAN end is fine)

cheers for your help anyway, if i get it working I'll post here incase that my help others in future.
Community Veteran

I think you are getting confused about how this all works.

There are 2 sides to your router: WAN (to the ISP) and LAN (to your PC).

DHCP applies to the LAN side of the router only. It is used to assign IP addresses to PCs on your local network. To get this working, your PC's network card must be setup to obtain it's IP address automatically. On the router you must have DHCP enabled and NAT enabled. So go into your PCs network settings, set it up to obtain IP automatically (under TCP/IP), setup the router for DHCP & NAT, save the settings and reboot both.

Your PC should now have a DHCP assigned IP address, probably 192.168.0.2 or similar.

Now that is setup, you go through the wizzard to setup the WAN side, enter your login/pass, save the details and you should be connected to the net. You may need another router reboot to do this.
N/A

will give it a try.

what confussed me was this from the static IP section of my account details

Additional Information
You should leave the connection settings in your dialup configuration set to Server Assigned IP Address. You are simply assigned the same IP address to you each time you connect.

but ill give it a go.

it does seem to connect in that the status page shows the connected up and down speeds - but gets no further apart from a failed message -

actually I'll stop there, and post the exact info when i get home - theirs no point speculating at my guess work is there ;-)

Cheers

D
Community Veteran

Sounds like it is syncing with the exchange so the basic line setup is OK. So what are you putting in for the login name. It should be either username@plusdsl.net or username@plus.net (i.e. not the same as logging into the portal) and your normal portal password. What it should be is listed on connection settings -> connection details page.
N/A

well still cant get it to connect fully i can get an up and down speed listed, but no actuall connection past there.

its asking for a default gateway, any idea what that IP address might be ? ive tried the one from my other modem but still no joy ;0(

Incedently Peter - i found this thread over on adslguide , any idea how i can check if thats likley to be a problem for me ?

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=2030358&page=&view=&sb=&o=

D
N/A

Hi,

You're clearly having a run of bad luck.

Firstly the article you mentioned on AG is a different issue to what you are experiencing. That scenario caused the router to loose synch with the exchange which, it would appear, is not happening in your case.

The wizard should not be asking for a default gateway.

Can you confirm that you are using the login details as mentioned by Peter.

If the wizard will not let you connect using the correct log in details, I would suggest resetting the router (again) and starting from scratch.

If it still doesnt work there may well be a problem with the router. The set up should not be that difficult.

Perhaps a phone call to PN support might identify from the radius logs if they can see you attempting to connect. If the radius logs show you as connected then your local set up would need checked further.
N/A

you'll be glad to hear im still getting nowhere with this.

when i ran the set up wizard last time, it actually detected my connection was PPPoa which i guess is good - It normally finds static IP, and as i have a static IP , i didnt know that was wrong

anyway - ive uploaded various pages from the set up. as you can see - some do connect, but wont let me access the net still -

http://www.iamdecal.co.uk/netgear/

i know the password is correct - ive jsut typed it in for this connectiion on my old modem

any more clues ?

is it likely that if i raise a support request, the tech guys at their end can tell me what the server is barfing at ?

cheers again guys.

D