cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bt 1800hg wireless router help

N/A

Hi, i have purchased a 2wire bt 1800 wireless router & cant seem to set it up?
I have it running & recognising my network & tells me the upload & download rate correct.
It cant find the internet.
Does anyone have any info on setting this up at all as im quite new to routers but literate in ip setup?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Where did you get it from - ebay perhaps?

Those kinds of routers are normally supplied with BT business connections and is normally locked to BT - i.e. it is preconfigured to only connect to a BT connection. This means it is going to be very difficult to use it on another ISP.

It needs a correct activation code to enable things like being able to enter your connection details or ISP logon information, which is generally not available.

You could look here where someone was able to find an activation code that worked for them but it may not work for you.

Also google for a firmware upgrade which may unlock it. 4.25.19 seems to be the one you need but I have no idea where to get it from.

http://colt.dnsalias.net/2wire/index.php may be a place to start
N/A

Thank you for your prompt reply, i have managed to get into the config setup ok with an activation code from 2wires site for "other" isp`s.
Im wondering if its just my knowledge of setting up the details im getting wrong?
I managed to input my login & password but it seems to be having problems accessing ATM but im not sure what that is?
N/A

Update, i used the settings given on that thread you gave me & im a step closer.
I now have the router fully working & showing internet as connected with no errors.
When i click on my firefox browser i get no internet pages showing, it just refuses to even access google?
Any ideas? Sad
Community Veteran

open a dos/cmd window and post the results of ipconfig/all

Is Windows set-up to obtain its IP address automatically or have you set a static IP?

Similarly, have you set DNS manually in Windows or set to obtain automatically.

What is the IP address of the router?
N/A

I have my network card on the pc set to a static ip & dns set to auto.
I have the router set to auto on ip & dns
routers ip is 192.168.1.64
router subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway is 192.168.1.254
as is the dhcp & dns servers
all selected on auto

my pc network card is ip 192.168.0.1
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.0.1
DHCP is disabled on the pc card
set manually

Thank you for your time.
N/A

Just to add i have the router set to pppoA.
This is the only one that lets the internet connect.
csogilvie
Grafter

Unless I'm missing something, shouldn't the default gateway be the routers IP address?
Community Veteran

Your PCs IP address is in a different range and is using a different gateway address to your router so it does not know where to go.

Also your routers gateway address looks wrong.

Set your PC to obtain its IP address and DNS automatically. Make sure the router has DHCP enabled and that it uses a range in the 192.168.1.X -> 192.168.1.Y

Reboot both router and PC and check what IP address it has been given - it should be 192.168.1.??. If it is, run ipconfig/all and check that the gateway address is 192.168.1.64 (your router). Then see if you can connect to the net.

If you can't post the full output from ipconfig/all.
N/A

Thanks for that Pete.
It was only when i read back my settings that i could actually see that it doesnt look right.
When your sitting & messing around you sometimes cant see the wood for the trees if you get me.
obviously if the router & pc have two different gateways even though the router is connected to the net, the pc wont be able to find that gateway being pointed elswhere.
Have i got that right mate?
I didnt post the dos readout earlier as i was using a different pc for the net to ask you questions.
Im not at home right now but will be trying again with the info you have give me.
Thanks
Pete
N/A

All working now, thanks for all your help, as said the gateways where all over the place.
I set all to auto & it works like a dream.
Id also recomemend these wireless routers as they really are quite stunning in use.
Thank you once again,
Pete