cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband metering problems

N/A

has anyone had any problems with excessive usage being reported?
I use about 1.5gb a month on average (not a large amount) but recently PLusnet is reporting me using about 36gb a week!
things i have tried
formatted my pc
bought another router
changed all paswords and wep encryprion
turned off and remover wireless connection to my router
turned off and disconected my pc completely
my usage is still soring out of controll even when my pc is off and just my router connected. no one is hacking my router wirelessly as this is disabled. the only puzzling thing i see is that when i boot up my router and it gains a sync with the exchane(ie adsl light comes on steady)after a few seconds the light flickers rapidly at a constant rate on and off as if it is communicating with the exchange. If i leave it like this and i turn on my pc to check my usage it has gone up without me being on line. Very puzzling! has anyone seen this problem before?Huh
13 REPLIES
N/A

Strange.
What type of usage are you showing you can get this from the portal? Is there any set time ie when your pc is on?
download tcpview
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/TcpView.mspx

and keep it running it will show all your connections so you can see if there is anything taking over your pc.
What is your router and does it have a log? On some you can setup all sorts of logging which may show something.

Have you got a wireless card in your pc which someone may be using to connect?

The only other thing I can thing of is someone has stuffed up at the exchange and connected something wrong or someone has got to your phone line and using it that way. Its possibly someone has flashed the router and is highjacking it but I would be surprised.

If it certain times you could remove the router from the phone and see if plus net can see any connection.
N/A

thanks for your reply. there is no set time that the usage is being used . it is all the time my router is conected to the phone line it seems to be sending and recieving packets. this is with my pc off and totally unpluged and isolated from the router. wireles is disabled and ariel unplugged from router to make doubly sure no wireless conection is possible.if the router is unplugged from the phone line for say 24 hours and i check the usage from my pc at work on the plusnet portal it shown no usage has taken place its only when i plug the phone line back in and check it again from work that usage has occured.a very strange situation i agree and one that has got me and plusnet baffeled.don't think my router has been hacked as i went out and bought a different router from a different manufacturer and exactly the same problem is there.
any more thoughts?
N/A

Have you tried switching the broadband firewall on to High and seeing if that makes a difference? There may be a lot of inbound traffic that is being rejected by your router firewall but still being counted against your usage- although it is rather a lot for just that. Also might be worth changing your IP address in case you've got one that use to be used as a server by someone.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at the BT data the usage for the past couple of days matches up with VMBU (the test I did doesn't go back any further). It also shows that almost all of the usage is download rather than upload. VMBU is classifying the traffic as "other", so difficult to give an idea of what it might be.

I'd suggest running the following command on your PC

Click Start then Run, type CMD and click OK and type netstat

That will show you any active connections to the Internet, so if there's lots of things there that could give an indication of what's downloading.
N/A

Going back one to what I said what is the model of your router?

Is there any logging you can setup on it?

Can you see if there is anyone connected wirelessly most routers you cant totally disable wireless and even with the antenna removed if someone was close they could use it.

Have you changed the username and password on the router from the default? Even if you have change it again and make sure the WAN interface is not accessible so know one can get to it via the web.

If you remove the pc cable and the router still show activity then it must be from the router does it show activity via radio or network port?

If you can beg borrow a none wireless router or modem and see if it still happens.
N/A

thanks for the suggestions. I will try these out and let you know the outcome.
N/A

ok....
the model of my router is a D-link dsl-904 allthough I have also tried a brand new belkin router with same results.
i have tried Run CMD and netstat as requested above and it reports nothing unusuall there at all ( no conections)
i have tried some logging software from ethereal.com and this is giving me a blank as well.
i have opened the router and disconected the wireless card from inside as well as switched it off so no wireless conection 100%
again i keep going back to the fact that my usage is clocking up when i just plug the router power supply and phone line in and nothing else into the router.
Is it possible that someone has gained access to information in my router to be able to use it through the internet without my pc conected as this looks like what is happenenig!
what advantage this would give anyone beats me though.
I have taken both routers to a friends house and tried them there and they work fine.
It is looking more and more like some strange fault at the exchange or something. Its got me baffeled anyway Cry
I have just checked my router log and it states no bytes sent or received wirless... which is good
but on dsl it is reporting a constant flow of received bytes but no transmitted bytes even after a few log refreshes RX is climbing TX is static.
This must indicate unknown traffic hitting my routerHuh?
any further thoughts?Huh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

but on dsl it is reporting a constant flow of received bytes but no transmitted bytes even after a few log refreshes RX is climbing TX is static.
This must indicate unknown traffic hitting my routerHuh?

Yep, that sounds like like what's causing the extra usage. Does the router have any way of logging what traffic it is or where it's coming from? It could be an attempted DDoS or some other type of port scan or virus trying to infect your PC or something along those lines. Certainly with the TX stat staying static it would imply that it's data being sent to your router from an external source rather than something on your PC requesting or sending it.
N/A

If the router are ok at your friends house then whatever it is is targeting your ip address.

The simple solution would be for plusnet to change your ip address which should stop it. If they could assign the ip to themselves they may be able to trace who or what is doing this
N/A

thanks for all the advise. Phoned plusnet and got them to change my ip address and all works fine now. Cheesy I have heard this term before (dos hack)Denial of service. What is it and how did it infect my router.I would like to try and prevent it happeneing again because of all the head ache is caused.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

There's loads of information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack
N/A

Have you tried switching the broadband firewall on to High and seeing if that makes a difference? There may be a lot of inbound traffic that is being rejected by your router firewall but still being counted against your usage- although it is rather a lot for just that. Also might be worth changing your IP address in case you've got one that use to be used as a server by someone.

*Coughs*

Is nice to get something right from time to time, glad you've got it sorted. :lol:
N/A

just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for their help on this one. Everything is still working fine Cheesy