cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any ideas?

N/A

any ideas?

Hi there, I am a bit baffled about whats going on with my phone / broadband connection. I am running a wireless network using a d-link router, I cant remember the exact make now, which isnt too useful I realise.

Had issues for a few days with losing the broadband across the network, this was largely solved by turning the router off and on again.

However, last week it suddenly stopped working and I couldnt get any connection at all. Since then I have crackling on the actual phone line (this happens with just having the phone connected as well). I have tried changing the phone splitter, and that doesnt help.

The routers status light is flashing constantly and the adsl light also flashes most of the time.

I really cant figure out what is at fault. I have a feeling its more than one thing, but because its not clear cut, neither BT nor plus net want to know.

The phone I have is cordless which I am aware could have something to do with it. But that cant be the only problem because when unplugged the broadband still doesnt work.
4 REPLIES
N/A

any ideas?

First you have 2 conections from the pc to the router via wireless and the adsl from the router to plus net. When you say its stopped working can you reach the router and view the webpage of the router?

If you can then the wireless side is working ok if not then you have a fault between your pc and router. This could be a new user near by installing a router on the same channel, or a phone or other source of radio interfirance.

If you can get onto the router then you mean the adsl line is down. Does the router tell you anything in its logs or status page? Have you tried the standard tests. IE plug router directly into the bt master socket with no phones no extentions?

If possable try a adsl modem or another router if you can borrow one as this will prove its the router or the line. Trying diferant router etc is th eonly sure way to tell if its the line. If its the line its down to BT/plus net. A crackle on the line is normally a dry joint somewere this may only apear when its dry or when its wet and hard to trace. It may cure its self for a bit if its been raining and it drys out.
N/A

any ideas?

hi, definitely got some tips I can try out there, thanks. I have only used wired connections up til now, and this is the first time anythings gone wrong, so not so used to troubleshooting in that way.

will give it a go with a different router (sadly my old wired router seems to have packed in, not so impressed). I cant access shared files across the network which I think is possibly a good sign its the router thats at fault.

When you say connect directly the computer to the phone point, I take it you mean to put the cable in the modem point on the splitter and then in the modem point in the computer? If so I did that, and it didnt work!

Thanks for your help anyways, will try it out.
N/A

any ideas?

If you cant access files across the network then its probaly the wireless side thats down. Does the router have a network port as well if so try with a rj45 cable and see if it works.
If its just the wireless you could be on the wrong channel or something new has come in range and you need to change the channel. If you have wep or any secure protacol installed knock that off and see if it works then
N/A

any ideas?

Hi, thanks for that. Yeah I have tried with the cable, and that didnt work either!