cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless speed

N/A

Wireless speed

Hi, I'm running windows XP (home) ona new Toshiba Notebook with built in wireless G. Signal strength appears to remain excellent but my speed varies considerable ranging from 1Mbps to 54Mbps. I am connected to a BT voyager 2100 which I have had for some time. It did work well with my last note book but I was using the slot in PCIM card.

Sometimes when it drops I have to switch the wireless connection off than back on again before it will operate at the top end of the speed range. Lost as to what to do next, any advice would be appreciated.

Richard
1 REPLY
N/A

Wireless speed

Were are you getting these speeds from pc to pc or from the internet? If its the internet then speed will vary due to traffic server load etc and you max speed would be you adsl connection speed.

If its pc to pc then you can get a burst speed of up to 54 megs but other things will come into play if you are copying files then if you have AV on both pc's they will both be scanning the files before they are sent and when recieved which will slow the job down.

Other things effect it like proccesor speed and load disk speed