cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless set up - Laptop & Voyage...can I switch off!

N/A

Three questions here that I hope you can support me with.

First, can I switch off my Voyager 2110 without losing settings. Simply, I would like to switch off the Voyager with the button on the back when I go to bed. Will this cause any issues when I switch it on again in the morning?

Second, can somebody send the simpliest and briefest of instructions to set up my new Advent Wireless Laptop. I have a voyager 2110 and can use the laptop, no problem, with a Wireless USB Adapter 1055 inserted. But surely I should not have to use this as the laptop is 'wireless'. Ive tried everything to set it up without the USB adapter but no joy. Please help.

Third, as can be gleaned from above I've been using the Wireless USB Adapter 1055 with my Voyager 2110. All very easy to install, I just inputted my wireless key into two fields as requested at the time. Am I secureHuh I feel as though the world can simply access my home network. The Voyager 2110 states it automatically encrypts. When I click on the Log it states it is using WEP encrption. Am I safe?

Thanks for your time and effort. I have always used dial-up until a week ago so this is my first move into broadband - and I thought Id try wireless.

3 REPLIES
N/A

The Voyager 2110, like all routers, is designed to be left on all the time. However, switching off the unit every night will not cause any problems.

Whenever you use wireless it is never totally secure. The Voyager 2110 uses WEP encryption which is a good first step and provides basic protection . Better still would be to:

- Change from WEP to WPA encryption
- Hide your wireless network by turning off your SSID
- Restrict access to only your computer(s)

Further information can be found here:-

link
N/A

Thanks for the advice on secuity. I used the link and went one step further

link

All I need now is some basic support in setting up the laptop without the need of the Wireless USB adapter. Thanks
N/A

If the wireless is enabled it should be very simple (famous last word). There should be a util with it which simply lets you scan for networks, finds them and then asks you which one to connect it will then ask for the key and away you go. Sometimes you have to find the network device in device manager and on one of the properties is a input for the SID etc

Failing that if you xp SP2 use the wizard from the control panel