cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless security problem

Cos2005
Dabbler

I have just installed a 3com wireless modem plus USB reciever, the problem I have is that if I put any encryption on My desktop cannot connect wirelessly, only with an ethernet which is pointless!

Is it a problem having the encrption disabled?
3 REPLIES
N/A

It's better to have some form of security (combinations of WEP, WPA, MAC address protection and hidden ESSID) to help prevent random people from accessing your network. Your computer should be able to access the 3Com box with encryption enabled (although there are sometimes compatibility problems). Check that you are entering the correct HEX or ASCII password in the correct form if you are using WEP. It may be worth reading through any supplied or online documentation/FAQ's for both pieces of hardware to help familiarise yourself.
Cos2005
Dabbler

I'll have a read up and take another look.
N/A

Good luck Smiley
One tip is that sometimes the format of the password is important, some devices and computers need to prefix WEP HEX passwords with 0x and ASCII ones with $, case is often important too. I've also come across devices that work together fine with WEP when the ESSID is visible, but not when it's hidden. There's all sorts of odd little quirks and peculiarities that can cause problems.