cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network only works in one direction

netmark

Hi everyone
I recently purchased and installed a BT Voyager 2110 router and Adapter from PlusNet but I am still unable to get the complete system networking.
The system I have is as follows:

PC 'A' has a wireless Network Adapter installed
Laptop 'B' has a laptop wireless adapter
Laptop 'C' is directly connected to the router via netwok cable

The problem is that, although I can connect and share files on all 3 computers from PC 'A', I am unable to access PC 'A' from the 2 laptops 'B' and 'C'

The icon for 'A' did appear in "Show workgroup computers" on B but clicking on this icon brings up the message that 'A' is not accessible. It has now disappeared anyway!

File and printer sharing is fully enabled on PC 'A' and the workgroup name is the same for all 3 computers.

BT Help says they don't know what to do!!!!

Anyone help please?
Kind regards
Michael Knight
5 REPLIES
N/A

Michael,

Have you checked that File & Printer Sharing is definitely still enabled on the PC you can't access? I've had several instances of WinXP apparantly deciding by itself to disable it for no reason.

Alan
Community Veteran

I don't know what version of windows you are using but I had terrible trouble setting up file / printer sharing with ME a couple of weeks ago. In the end I gave up and upgrade the machine to XP.
netmark

Hi Guys
Thanks for the attempts. XP already in use - it was great when I used a wired network!
Reset the PC for Network connection and ticked File Sharing - stil no go.

I have shut down Windows Firewall on PC an Laptop (even though it keeps re-appearing) but I do have McAfee Firewall.

More help please
Michael :?
netmark

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
It all became obvious. McAfee Firewall was not allowing the "unknown" IP address to access.

All fine now. Thanks again or the help - it may not have been the solution but it sure led me to think right.

Regards from
Michael
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

Glad you found the solution, Michael. I know from bitter experience just how frustrating network troubleshooting can be!

Alan