cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless failing to connect

N/A

My friend's wireless modem/router (Voyager 2100) appears to disconnect quite often and then sometimes does not allow a reconnection.

We have changed the channel it operates on from the default 5 - to 13 (I'm not superticous) and this has made no difference. The girl lives in an appartment with other wireless networks around her.

Can anyone assist pls?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Might be a case of playing around with different channel combinations. The other wireless kit maybe causing problems or there may be other sources of interferance coming from neighbours.

Start working through the channels to see if one remains stable.
N/A

Thanks - I will try changing the channel again. Odd though, I have changed before and it still did not sort out the problem.
Community Veteran

Then that is probably not the problem.

Have you checked how the wireless network is setup / secured on the router. Check to see if you need to enter the remote PCs MAC address to allow connections or see if the router is configured to use WEP encryption in which case your remote PC's wireless card will have to be configured the same with the correct WEP key.

If nopne of this is set then it should be if there are multiple wireless connections in the locality.

Also are you sure the remote PC was actually connecting to the 2100 and not to one of the other wireless networks?
N/A

Get hold of netstumbler from

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

With it you can scan the wireless channels and it will show what else is near you and allso the channel it is using.

I would turn off any wep and see if that solves the problem. If it solves it you know were the problem lies and can put it back later