cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection = Ethernet ??

greypound

Wireless connection = Ethernet ??

I have now installed windows 2000 on my desktop (dual boot with 98SE) and have a working home network with file and printer sharing. I have access to the internet by the desktop ethernet connection - but no access by the laptop and its wireless connection. The laptop successfully pings the router.

annoyances.org says that for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) the desktop should have two ethernet cards installed.
My query was : does a Netgear WG311 wireless PCI adaptor qualify as a second ethernet connection thus facilitating ICS. I'll probably find out when I eventually install it !
2 REPLIES
greypound

Network Internet Connection Sharing with Wireless Broadband.

At present I have a desktop with a LAN connection to a Netgear DG834G ADSL wireless router and an old laptop with a wireless connection (via a Netgear WG511 PC card).
I can access broadband from both computers - but as I understand it I cannot set up a home network and still access the Web unless I have two ethernet cards on the desktop.
The desktop uses Win98SE and the laptop Win2Kpro.
I have a Netgear WG311 Wireless PCI adapter (intended for the desktop if I relocate the router) - if I fitted this would it provide the necessary link to the router to allow Internet Connection Sharing ??

I had been attempting to set up a home network but lost the internet connection before I ever established a working setup, never being able to achieve file and printer sharing (I'll be back to sort that out later!)
N/A

Network Internet Connection Sharing with Wireless Broadband.

If both pc's can get to the internet via the router then you have a home network. What cant you do? If you can get the ip address of each pc start run cmd then ipconfig /all on win2k pc and winipcfg on 98. Then from th eother pc you should be able to ping the other pc.

Thing like a firewall or security setting may stop this