cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless and XP Service pack 2?

N/A

A puzzle for you all...
I have developed a problem with a notebook and wireless access, which worked flawlessly for months, WEP enabled, and then suddenly it would not connect wirelessly. There is no problem with a cable connection.

A wireless desktop is a bit temperamental, but works well most times, and an Ipaq continues to connect without a problem, so I'm pretty sure the fault lies within the notebook, and probably software related.

I think this could be related to SP2, or some other "update" but having removed SP2, at the suggestion of the notebook manufacturers (Hi-Grade - new in 2004) there is still a problem. I think I've done everything else ( e.g re-install drivers, setup the wireless connections again etc.,) except change the hardware in the notebook. I don't really want to format the notebook and start again!

(Netgear DG814 Modem, Belkin WAP F5D7130)

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

Not sure about the router model, but on a different netgear router, you have to add your machine to the 'access list' as a trusted station.
This is based upon the physical MAC address of your machine, rather than just relying on windows names, I think.
I'll have a dig around, because perhaps I am wrong.
N/A

Thanks James,

Since posting earlier today I have tried to access the Belkin WAP's user interface by entering its IP address, and seeing whether a firmware upgrade might sort it.

I can't access the WAP at all at present and now wonder if the WAP is faulty. Also the Ipaq fails to establish a connection. Looking back, what I have assumed was just an intermittent poor connection in the past may be a more serious hardware fault.

Regards,

Robert

PS: Nice cat
N/A

Thanks, the girlfriend allowed me to call him Roger, without realising the implications.
Wink
N/A

Curiouser and curioser....

Wi-fi is now working again, but I can't access the user interface by entering 192.168.2.254 into browser from a wired machine, and therefore can't do a firmware upgrade....?

(All firewalls etc., switched off)

Any thoughts anyone, please?

Many thanks,

Robert :?

P.S Our elderly cat Tom, is being threatened by the arrival of the wife's new dog! At present we are resisting..........
N/A

What is the IP address of the wired desktop, command prompt ipconfig /all? It must be on the same subnet as the AP. What error do you get?
N/A

Thanks,

IP address 192.168.0.6
No errors
N/A

Well you could be on a different subnet with this address depending on the subnet mask. Is the wired connection using a static address of DHCP? Does the gateway interface have some restricted access? In which case the allowed IP addresses to access the interface maybe in a very small band.