Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless advice needed for new starter

N/A

Hi all,
Hope this is the right place to ask... :?:

I currently have an XP machine on 24/7 with a standard PCI Modem which I have absolutely no problems with. At the moment I have no wireless cards.

What I would like to do is connect this machine http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318 up my XP box via wireless as cheaply as possible.

From reading this old document http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx it sounds like I can probably do it by setting up an ad-hoc wireless network.

If I purchased this http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000E5SFA/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/202-5964629-1575032 would that work in practise?

Also if I got a wi-fi card for my laptop could I connect to my PC and use its internet connection to check my mail? (I know I could do this with a crossover network cable on my old PC) or would a Wireless Access Point be needed for this ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000E5SF9/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/202-5964629-1575032

As you can see I'm quite confused!

Someone mentioned a router may be useful however I don't really want to affect my current intenet stability with filesharing and spend money when its not needed especially as the PC is always on.

Any help or advice would be appreciated
Thanks, Wayne
5 REPLIES
Walrus
Grafter

Re: Wireless advice needed for new starter

Someone mentioned a router may be useful however I don't really want to affect my current intenet stability with filesharing and spend money when its not needed especially as the PC is always on.

I think this is the key point, and I don't blame you for being dubious about wireless, more than half the installations I've seen are 'flakey'.

Taking your current stable setup, i.e. PCI modem connected to the internet on a single PC, the way forward is probably using built-in ICS (internet connection sharing) to share the internet connection.

As you will be aware, the way this would be done 'wired' is either a cross-over cable to one other single PC (via a network card in your 'net' PC) or via a hub to multiple PCs.

To 'convert' this to a wireless solution, without compromising stablity on your 'net' PC, use the same topology. The network card in this case simply turns into a wireless network card. Here's the neat bit, you don't need a router or wireless access point, Windows ICS acts as the router for all traffic.
N/A

Correct, should definately be the more stable way of doing things.
One trouble with this method however can be wireless range, simply because the aerial, and all the gubbins that generate the wireless signal, are sat at the back of your machine - so there can be interfereance for things like your power supply etc.
Ordinarily this won't cause a problem with your wireless connection, but expect a lower range than quoted.
dubiez

I've set up a ad-hoc wireless network following the microsoft link you mentionned and it works really well. All I had to buy was a PCI wireless card and it was up and running within 30 mins (my IBM laptop had Wi-Fi built in).
Range is not really an issue, I get it to work at 50m through 4 walls (as far away as I can go).
My iPaq also synchronises wirelessely with my desktop without too much trouble.
N/A

Fantastic - will give it a whizz!
Thanks for all your advice guys

Cheers, Wayne
Andy_P
Dabbler

Hi All This is of interest to me too as I am quite new to al this.

I currently have home PC (XP home, dial up modem (broadband on order) and PCI wireless card) and work laptop (XP professional and built in WiFi). I use Microsoft’s ICS and can share files / printers across both machines and access the internet on my laptop using ICS on the home PC.

What I cannot do to use my Cisco VPN client to connect to my corporate network through ICS (it works fine when I use dial up on my laptop to connect directly to the internet).

I have searched the web for info on this and believe this is simply not possible and that I would have therefore have to either

i) swap my broadband modem between my PC and laptop or
ii) use a wireless router and connect both PC and laptop directly to the internet via that

Any thoughts / comments greatly appreciated

Andy