cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Securuty

N/A

Wireless Securuty

Good morning,
I have recently moved flats into a block where somebody is able to access my wireless broadband, I am aware there are several things I can do in order to secure my router etc however i'm finding this difficult! I have a BT Voyager router and a Sony Vaio with built in wi fi. I have been able to get onto my router homepage and under security I have found the place where I need to set up a MAC address. There are then 3 options 1 - off, 2 - on, allow, and 3 - on, deny, I have no idea which one to tick to secure my roter so only my laptop can connect? Also there is a tab where you can 'view all adapters' or something similar, nothing comes up in this! If I try and add my laptops MAC address it crashes! Whenever I try and change a setting even if it is as small as hiding my router (ssid or something) I lose my connection and have to restart both my laptop and my router! Could this be due to my Norton being over protective? Am i doing something wrong? Is the Mac address option the best method? Could I possibly have some easy to follow instructions?
Regards
3 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless Securuty

A lot of people will tell you that SSID hiding and MAC filtering are more of an 'obscurity' rather than 'security'. These will stop most script kiddie's getting onto your network but are pretty pointless.

But if you want to enable them, then do so. I do not use the BT voyager stuff so cant really comment.

The problems you are having seem to be related to whenever you make a configuration change, the wireless part reboots itself. Therefore, I suggest you configure your router using an ethernet cable and not the wireless.

You want to disallow all MAC addresses except your own, so at a guess this would be option 2, and then as you say, put in the MAC address of your wireless card (make sure you don't confuse it with your wired one)

SSID hiding is pretty pointless - just leave it on. Hiding it can cause a few problems and was not intended to be hidden in the 802.11 spec.

You should also use WEP encryption. Or, if your router and laptop support WPA then use WPA as it is far superior.
N/A

Wireless Securuty

A lot of people will tell you that SSID hiding and MAC filtering are more of an 'obscurity' rather than 'security'. These will stop most script kiddie's getting onto your network but are pretty pointless.

But if you want to enable them, then do so. I do not use the BT voyager stuff so cant really comment.

The problems you are having seem to be related to whenever you make a configuration change, the wireless part reboots itself. Therefore, I suggest you configure your router using an ethernet cable and not the wireless.

You want to disallow all MAC addresses except your own, so at a guess this would be option 2, and then as you say, put in the MAC address of your wireless card (make sure you don't confuse it with your wired one)

SSID hiding is pretty pointless - just leave it on. Hiding it can cause a few problems and was not intended to be hidden in the 802.11 spec.

You should also use WEP encryption. Or, if your router and laptop support WPA then use WPA as it is far superior.

Yep agree with this SSID hiding is indeed pointless given the problems it causes with attached devices.
N/A

Wireless Securuty

SSID hiding may not be very effective as stated, but wait until your next door neighbour buys the same setup ie uses a SSID of NETGEAR. Even with security enabled limited connectivity CAN take place and when he tries to manage his system - changes yours (& vice versa).

My recommendation is to hide your SSID AFTER changing it to say NETGEARnn - use MAC filtering and hey presto - no problems with system settings changing and 100% connectivity from three laptops since.

Happy surfing.

Oh yes, I forgot...

Change your ADMIN password!!!!