cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Networking - Help Please?

essenby
Grafter

Now this may sound a bit elementery to most of you, but how do I set up a wireless local network at home? I've had a Linksys WAG54GS for some time and successfully connect to it, and the internet, from my desktop using the WUSB54GS (LInksys USB Wireless adaptor). I've now added a new laptop which is wireless enabled. And, with a little minor tweaking I can connect to the router and through it to the internet. Thw question is - ho do I connect to the other PC, and vice versa?

Both machines have the same Workgroup values and when I click on "View workgroup machines" on the laptop it displays the router but strangley the desktop does not. All I really need is to move music and other large files around without having to resort to burning CD's every time.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hove you enabled the "Sharing" option on the machine that you cant see?

EG from "My Computer" highlight drive C or a folder in C then right click on it.
Look for the sharing in the dropdown box and follow that through.
N/A

if you know the name of the pc you want to connect to simple open a cmd window and type

net use \\the computernameyouwanttoconnectto\c$ password /user:admin

so if the other pc is acalled fredspc you would
type
net use \\fredspc\c$ password /user:admin

as its a admin share you dont need to set the sharing. Other than that it could be a firewall issue
essenby
Grafter

. . net use \\the computernameyouwanttoconnectto\c$ password /user:admin
Do I need and "admin" user account and associated password already defined or does this set up "admin" as a pseudo user?

Hove you enabled the "Sharing" option on the machine that you cant see? . .
Yes, sharing is enabed and I've shared the printer and a couple of directories but although I can "see" the desktop from the laptop, I cannot see any of the shares or map a network drive to the share. When I double click the coputer in "View workgroup Computers" it generates a message saying that I don't have the necessary access but I can't find anywhere to set permissions.
N/A

What operating systems are running on each computer?
essenby
Grafter

Win XP Home
N/A

Are the computer names different?

Were the users setup as Admin accounts?
essenby
Grafter

Both computers have different names but the same workgroup.

The users of each machine can install software and so (presumably) have admin rights.
Community Veteran

As mentioned above by mwright it sounds to me as though this is a firewall issue.
The normal Xp one shouldn't be causing it but do you have another installed?
If its zone alarm then you will very definitely have to set up trusted zones I.e. a list of IP addresses that are allowed access to the machine.
essenby
Grafter

Thanks for all your help people - Zone Alarm it was!